El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide what to do about this door/ quarter gap, seems pretty wide, this picture does it a little justice. Im not sure if or how I should fix it. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
If everything else fits alright, you could SLOWLY weld a bead along the door edge to narrow the gap. This is done more often by customizers wanting to get a car done without buying new parts and/or using up more time (time is money!). Just an option to consider. Seek a bunch of options and choose the best one for you!

Doug

·
Registered
449 Posts
1 had a similar gap on my drivers door, although mine was wider at the top. I welded a 1/8 welding rod (after I broke all the coating off) to get the gap correct. It took a little time grinding and fitting, but it left me with a nice rounded edge, looks factory.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Tony try the Eastwoods no lead lead,, I have some that I bought a while back and have not used any yet,, if your game I will bring it over and we can try it out to close up that gap,, I am finally off this weekend,, let me know I will try to call in the evening soon,, Matty man

·
Registered
189 Posts
I say , finish doing the body work/priming ,then see how the gaps look. Painting will also help the overall Look.:nanawrench:

Still doing body work ,had some runs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks like about 1/4" or so which is pretty normal for an 80's car. Have you tried adjusting the door at the hinges before you go and weld extra material onto the back edge? There should be tons of forward / back adjustment on the hinges.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use a paint stirring stick to gap mine .as stated above adjust it at the hinges. if you cant get enough by adjusting the cowl part of the hinge you can use long corvette diff. alignment shims to shim the door end of the hinge.should be between 1/8 and 3 /16 in all the way around. i adjust the door gap then the fenders then the hood to get it all square and uniform

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
on some of the ones that were way off i have had to elongate the hinge holes and trim the header panel to get all of the gaps right. once you get the doors right then adjust the door glass front ot rear and square in the opening to avoid the wind whistle when off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts