El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well hopefully by next weekend i'm gonna have one smooth riding corner blasting el camino. After i got my F41 sway bar (which isnt installed yet) i went ahead and ordered the bushings/endlinks, as well as the edelbrock ias shocks, and the eibach pro-kit springs. i was figuring to get these to help smooth out the bumps on the roads. lately, its been giving a rough ride it didn't seem to when i first got it. hopefully this will help alot :D

·
Banned
881 Posts
There's really no reason to replace the upper control arm shaft. It's not a wear item. All it usually needs is just a few minutes on a wire wheel to clean it up before you install the new bushings. I've never replaced the shaft when I've re-bush the arms.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
87ElCamino said:
There's really no reason to replace the upper control arm shaft. It's not a wear item. All it usually needs is just a few minutes on a wire wheel to clean it up before you install the new bushings. I've never replaced the shaft when I've re-bush the arms.

I was asking 'cuase I was getting ready to do just that. I just finished up, and the came out just fine. Melting the rubber with a torch is the ticket :) I was being told by someone here at work that is was less hassle to go with a new shaft.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Normally, you wouldn't need to replace the shafts...however, I have work on a few cars where the owner drove around for years with completely worn out upper A frame bushings thus trashing the shafts.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
By the way, burning the bushings out is stinky and messy with much dripping, flaming hot rubber. Easiest method to remove the old ones is an air hammer. Easiest to install is a press or a big socket and vise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didn't replace the upper control arm shaft.

I'm waiting a bit before i take pics because the springs are taking a bit to settle. It rides like a dream, and takes corners very well. The old shocks were worn, and the new ones go over bumps nice and smooth.

·
Banned
881 Posts
acauth1 said:
Easiest to install is a press or a big socket and vise.
I've made up a set of different diameter tubing spacers (1.75", 2.5", etc.) kind of like the spacers for a lower ball joint press. I use them with my big bench vise to R&R the upper and lower bushings.

I agree about burning the bushings out. Not only is it dangerous but a snoot-full of burning rubber fumes is not an enjoyable high.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with the air hammer to get them out, that what i used on mine made it pretty easy.

camino81

1 - 11 of 11 Posts