El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '79 Elky unfortunately has some pretty bad body rust between the doors and the rear wheel well. Since I'm operating on a shoestring budget and the actual patch panels are definitely not in that budget, I'm hoping to find a car in a salvage yard that I can cut the pieces from to weld in. Unfortunately, El Caminos are in short supply in nearby salvage yards, so I'm wondering if there are any other G-bodies that would work to cut those pieces from to fit in to patch the body up.

The area in question can be seen in this picture, passenger side looking back behind the door: http://gallery.me.com/rbabcock#100134/CIMG0381&bgcolor=black

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,143 Posts
I have seen a patch panel for that area for around $75.00 off Ebay, this included free shipping. Just something to check out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen a patch panel for that area for around $75.00 off Ebay, this included free shipping. Just something to check out.
I've seen those to, and were I doing this 'normally' I'd probably be going that route. But when I've got a roughly $2k budget total (and the car itself knocked $850 off of that) to both fix it up and outfit it for racing, every penny I can save counts...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Station wagons?
I'd figure they'd work- but they seem to be even rarer than the El Caminos. :dontknow:

I was hoping that some of the other G-bodies like the 2-door Malibus or Monte Carlos, which I find far more often, were at least close enough in body contour that the sheet metal from them could be used to patch the section on the Elky...

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Easy enough to make your own patch panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts