El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well dismantled most of the 80 caballero diablo today tomorrow will finish it off . Also a picture of my 72 gmc sprint which is my daily driver again , drove it yesterday for the first time in 4 years . Will put the chrome back on after painting it this summer .

Attachments

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was it hard to say good-bye as you were taking pieces off?
It was hard to take that first piece off a week ago, but now that the decision has been made to get rid of it its not so bad .It has helped a few other elkys so thats good . I liked the 80 but I like the 72 more .

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've dismantled mine as well..... but for the purpose of getting the body repaired and repainted - not to scrap it (though the though crossed my mind once or twice as I found more and more rust).

As crude as it is... I miss driving it already and it's only been a few weeks since I started this. But... I just think about to how it'll be better than new when it's all done and that makes the pain worth it.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought I would strip out this el camino (caballero) , I have rebuilt el caminos in much worse condition . There was a lot of little issues with this cruck after it was rebuilt , whomever rebuilt it cut every corner they could . I stripped the rest of the beast today and below are the pictures of what was left .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I think you mean "Out with the new in with the old" !!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Why that was in bold text I have no idea... also nobody was interested in the complete body shell? Or was the actual shell itself also rusting away, not just frame?

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why that was in bold text I have no idea... also nobody was interested in the complete body shell? Or was the actual shell itself also rusting away, not just frame?
The only offers I got on the shell was $210-$250 ,i got more for the rear differential and console. There were a lot of issues with this caballero , from leaks in the cowl ,front window and rear window to doors completey rusted and seperated at the bottom . With already having 2 vehicles in different stages of rebuilding (the 59 is not even started) I couldn't afford a third project vehicle.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sad to see an old friend go like that...but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I do wish we lived closer together as I mentioned before I could sure use that RH quarter panel...

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sad to see an old friend go like that...but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I do wish we lived closer together as I mentioned before I could sure use that RH quarter panel...
I cut the quarters off yesterday and they are not as good as they look in the pictures , i pulled out over a pound of dirt trapped in the quarter on the passenger side and both sides were wet inside . These also are not original quarters they appear to be cross canada quarters which you can pick up cheap enough if you find a decent body shop supplier.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I cut the quarters off yesterday and they are not as good as they look in the pictures , i pulled out over a pound of dirt trapped in the quarter on the passenger side and both sides were wet inside . These also are not original quarters they appear to be cross canada quarters which you can pick up cheap enough if you find a decent body shop supplier.

Yeah they sure can trap the dirt over the years...I've been watching Cross Canada from time to time and looks like their prices are going up on some of the stuff. Quarters are $700...door shells went from $900 up to $1100:dontknow:

Nothing like using nice new parts but used pricing sure becomes attractive taking in the new parts prices.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they sure can trap the dirt over the years...I've been watching Cross Canada from time to time and looks like their prices are going up on some of the stuff. Quarters are $700...door shells went from $900 up to $1100:dontknow:

Nothing like using nice new parts but used pricing sure becomes attractive taking in the new parts prices.
Do not buy Cross Canada parts from Cross Canada or you will pay through the a** , I bought a pair of cross canada quarter panels in 2006 from an autobody supply house , when I checked around prices were as high as $529 each , but there is a little autobody supply shop in North east Calgary that charged me $269 per side . If you are interested I am sure I still have there phone number kicking around .

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yeah wouldn't do that...use them mainly to gauge prices. I've got a cousin in autobody so I'm sure he can hook me up when I'm ready. When you posted the quarter for $100 and in the pics lit looked pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts