El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 70 SS. One of the items that I am trying to find is a manual outside rectangular mirror. All the mirrors that I find in all the catalogs and parts places are listed as the same one for the Chevelle. They have the two screw base plate and have one screw holding the mirror to the base plate. The mirror on my car has three screws in the base plate and two screws holding the mirror to the base plate. According to the GM assembly manual the Chevelle mirror is different than the Camino and the Wagon. What's your experience?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Les,

My dad and I recently got a 70 Elky SS 396 and it has the rectangular mirrors with the one screw holding it to the double screw base plate. These are the same mirrors that my friend has that has a 68 Impala SS. To my knowledge, 71 was the first year that they came out with the rounded sport mirrors as opposed to the chrome rectangular mirrors. At least that is what my dads 71 GS conv. has on it.

Is it possible that someone replaced the mirror on your 70 Elky with an after market or different one than stock?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The paintable Sport Mirrors don't work with the pre 73 Elkys and I would think Chevelles either. Where they mount interferes with the opening of the vent windows. In 73 and later there were no vent windows. The proper mirror for the pre '73 would have been the Chrome rectangle mirror. I am pretty sure that they were only avalible for the driver side. I could be wrong though dealers often put on what ever the customer wanted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts