El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gets cool out on the open road but around town not so much. Took some readings on Saturday. outside air temp was 95* F. Readings in park with idle up solenoid engaged and RPM's around 1000-1200 maybe? I didn't hook up a tach so can't be 100% sure.
Anyway Low Side readings were 27-29 PSI and High Side readings were 215-225 PSI.
The vent temps were 46.2.
Next day Sunday, outside temp was 95* F again,. Driving around on short trips on local streets, vent temps were in the low 50's.

For any of those that have been following this topic, everything in the system is new except the condenser. New A6 compressor, new hoses, new accumulator, new cycling switch, new orifice tube, new evap, and new severe duty fan clutch. Charged with 4 - 14oz cans of R-12.

System works fine on cooler days with temps in the low 80's and low humidity. It's when it gets in the upper 80's-90's that it seems like it can't keep up.
So I'm wondering if it's overcharged or undercharged?

·
Registered
231 Posts
your temperatures are way over 21 degree spread.your running near 50 degree difference , fantastic. can,t see how your gonna get any better. lot more knowledge people on here then me,maybe they can help !!! good luck.

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I just need to tint the windows? Car has factory tinted glass but as you know it's like sitting in a glass bowl. All the windows are so close maybe that's why it doesn't feel so cool. In the shade or at night it'll freeze you to death. In the hot sun it's a little better than opening the windows.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Bobby, see my PM from a few minutes ago. Tint the windows, may be your heat load I mentioned.

Maybe I just need to tint the windows? Car has factory tinted glass but as you know it's like sitting in a glass bowl. All the windows are so close maybe that's why it doesn't feel so cool. In the shade or at night it'll freeze you to death. In the hot sun it's a little better than opening the windows.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Also, may still be a little high on the high side at 95* ambient, sure that fan clutch is good?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those numbers seem pretty good to me.
I unhooker my heater core yesterday and I am getting some more r12 tomorrow.
Hope I get there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I know whats going on bro when you are out on open road you have more air flowing to cool the condenser when stop and go in town not so much flow try installing an electric fan I'm sure it'll freeze you out then.had same issue on my tahoe swapped to electric fans now even in traffic in louisiana (bit warmer than NY)it'll freeze you out. as for a fan just go to junk yard for one and tie it into the ac clutch with a relay and fuse to turn it on.if you need more info on wiring let me know and I'll send ya a blue print very simple to do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This is an old thread before the last two entries but, like acauth1 said, I'd check the clutch fan before I'd think about adding a junkyard fan. Mine is stock and cools just fine; vent temp in the 30s while moving and low 40s at idle, and you might have read about the record temps this week in my area.

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is new. New severe duty fan clutch, new monster 4 row aluminum radiator, new 350/290 crate engine, all hoses, a/c lines, accessories, accumulator, evap, heater core, fan shroud, etc, etc. Only part of a/c system not changed was the condenser. But it was cleaned inside and out. Only old parts on the engine are the water pump pulley, p/s pulley and crank pulley.
Problem is for whatever reasons the cycling switches are not cycling the compressor. Wiring seems good. No breaks, no shorts and compressor cuts out if plug to switch is pulled. Bought a different type switch that acauth1 recommended but haven't installed it yet.
Thinking maybe the cork tape isn't insulating the sensing bulb enough.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I went back and re read the original post. You say '4-14oz. cans of R-12'. That's 56 oz. or 1.75 lbs. IIRC, the label on the evaporator box says either 3.25 or 3.50 lbs., not sure because my label is missing.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
May be Troy ounces, since R12 is just like gold!!!!:poke:

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah 56 divided by 16 = 3.5

·
Registered
388 Posts