El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
JJLT1 You're all over this site with helpful accurate advice. In my case you have cold hard truths. Your last post sounds like Judge Judy's gavel. In my tank gunner days the search for enemy is a three crewman job. The driver, The tank CMDR, and the gunner, all scoping around. When the CMDR overides the turret to point the gunner scope in the general direction he releases control to the gunner when the gunner says, "IDENTIFIED!"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well thanks everyone. This thread is awaiting Meyer's Alaskan radiator and fan set up images, but the issue of my Elky overheating is now a slam dunk. JJLT1 confirmed one major issue (Radiator size) and we have learned about many other contributing factors. I look forward to ecploring this site, and with a Flintstone Elky like mine will probably be back with many issues to come!

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
just tryin to help, while were all locked down, home scool-in..

I think everyone needs 3 Elky's
a BIG 4x4, Drag Cruck, and a grocery getter.. and I like yours John..

I would think the radiator would keep up, IF you were just cruising down the hiway at 55
but any extra load [BBC motor], blocked air flow, extra hot climate,, and it probly wont..

TYFYS 25%.jpg

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would remove all that off there and put the clutch fan back on..

You have a piece of sheet metal blocking the FREE air flow thru the radiator!! Which in turn keeps the engine bay cool which helps keep the engine cool..

Doesn't look like the AC is being used, if so remove the condenser coil...

Remove anything thats not being used, its a heat sink under the hood..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Meyer I like it. Thats a much better set up for an electrical fan. That's what I would want, and I've got the room for it. One 60 amp turbo-prop with no backplate business happening. I would just hardwire and toggle it to the dash. No sensor needed. LOL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would remove all that off there and put the clutch fan back on..

You have a piece of sheet metal blocking the FREE air flow thru the radiator!! Which in turn keeps the engine bay cool which helps keep the engine cool..
Doesn't look like the AC is being used, if so remove the condenser coil...
Remove anything thats not being used, its a heat sink under the hood..
Yeah perzactly Pitts! That's what we've all agreed is happening. Glad you're on board and thanks for checking in on this issue of mine. I DID NOT INSTALL THAT POS FAN SYSTEM, LOL. Previous owner. Not me. I'm just the guy who got swindled. Not making money on this Elky now. It's an official money-pit, but I'm told they all are. And El Camino's all have loose nuts behind the wheel. But never have I heard anyone with your advice about heat sincs in the engine bay. Holy crap! So right. I'm on it. Removing anything in there that's not needed.

As far as going back to the clutch fan it would be a damn sight better than what is running now. JJLT1 posted that my radiator is too small. It may work for a factory fitted engine up to a 5.7Liter but not the 454 with a quadrajet. Plus the 10" body lift offsets the airflow. A standard clutch fan won't do it in New Mexico heat. She's gonna need a bigger radiator and some badass fan pull, and as you say, without that stupid back panel "shroud".

'Preciate your input, and yur avatar looks like the first Elky I ever drove and stole my heart, same color even.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
John, My car came with the small radiator too and the 454 was fine. But my engine is stock. I bought a Champion Radiator on e-Bay for $130.00!! Its an excellent radiator too..
Oops, I just saw New Mex!! You will need the big Champion three row.. Its a sweetheart. Don't forget to use a 160 t stat. I have the best luck with the low priced Stant Super flow..

As far as heat goes, the more things you can remove from the under hood the better. If your not using that heater, remove that big HVAC duct. The air will flow right through the engine bay without all that. Those extra parts all act as heat storage units...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
John, My car came with the small radiator too and the 454 was fine. But my engine is stock. I bought a Champion Radiator on e-Bay for $130.00!! Its an excellent radiator too..
Oops, I just saw New Mex!! You will need the big Champion three row.. Its a sweetheart. Don't forget to use a 160 t stat. I have the best luck with the low priced Stant Super flow..
Hey Pitts! Your avatar always brings good memories. I was frikkin 17 years old dude. I look back to 1978 and your El Camino was shaming the new ones. The muscle car era was already dead in 78 and we had Datsun B210 tin cans in the high school parking lot. On lunch period we would hang in the parking lot and lean on cars or sit on them, but you would damage the Japanese cars if you did that. Used to joke about where America's recycled metal went; to Japan!

Kids today grew up on their parent's commute. In practical family transportation. Heavier traffic than we remember. Kids that would rather stay home and play with their gadgets. The road, the freeways, we remember differently.

If they only knew.

Thx for the cash-savings advice.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts