El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these harnesses? My 68 came with original harnesses in a box, and they are savable in my assessment, but I'm exploring replacements. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Hans

·
Registered
635 Posts
Has anyone used these harnesses? My 68 came with original harnesses in a box, and they are savable in my assessment, but I'm exploring replacements. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Hans
I put one in my '82. Overall the instructions are easy to follow and their customer support is helpful with issues on installation. I would say that the main harness MIDI fuse included in the kits is hot garbage and should be replaced with a different one though.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I'm using an American Auto Wire "Classic Update " harness with no regrets. Plenty of amp capacity. Fuse panel fits the original firewall hole. And the wires are clearly marked the entire length for each circuit they support.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I've never used either but have researched both several times and I'd go with american auto wire. Seems to be a much better product.

·
Registered
1969 SS396
77 Posts
I'm currently installing a painless in my 69. Previous owner bought and started it and then I took over. It's a pain in the ass, but the directions are pretty clear. I don't think I would pay for it if I was to start all over, the wire gauge seems awful small, but again everything is clearly marked. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got one for my 68. Only thing they had was for a Chevelle. A few differences especially for the rear lights. The El Camino has a separate harness at the back, the Chevelle does not. All in all, though, a nice harness.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I agree with B52bombardier. I installed an American Autowire "Classic Update" kit on my '65. High quality, good drawings, and good customer support. As I recall, its not as expensive as Painless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts