El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to spend monies on something NOT related to the Camino......

I drove the '68 to town (40 miles one way) and when I got there and was crawling around with my builder looking at her, I noticed how bad the shoes were.....I knew they were a little dry but found that they were cracking in the treads.......NOT good. I wanted to go 255's in the rear but only have 7" Rallies, so I settled for 235's all around. It stopped all the squalling when I turned corners and the rubbing at bumps.

On a side note: I couldn't believe how hard it was to find 15" tires.....called 5 shops before I found these at Discount tires.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Try finding 14 inch tires. I want to convert to 15's just to have more options. I even thought about 16's but didn't want to go that big.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Kyle I hope you used the $50 off for buying 5 tires at Discount Tire. You have to tell them youre a member of NECOA. Thanks, Geno

:usa:

·
Site Contributor Supporting Member
2,531 Posts
Had to get 14"tires before the Silver Springs Show. Called around and everybody could order them for me. Called a little shop that is owned by a friend of my oldest son. Told him I was looking for Cooper Cobra 225 x 70R 14 Radial G/T and had to have them mounted and balanced in the next 4 day's. He said he had 16 in stock and if I bring the rims over he can have them for me the next day. Neil and I had them on My Baby and ready to go the day after.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had thought to see if we get a discount.....Only bought 4 anyway.
I bet 14's are difficult....never thought about that. Same thing though...."we can order them". When she goes "under the knife" I'll probably go 17" Rally wheels, should make it easy enough to find tires.

·
437 Posts
Tires

BF Goodrich still lists Radial T/A in 14" had them on my 86, the 15`s on it when I got it rubbed on turns (front).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to change it up a bit......I like them this way, I'm sure its not to everyones taste.

It's got some air in the shocks right now....but I bought some Calvert racing +1 split mono leafs to make it a little better.

Here's a shot with the new Digi-tails in '67 tail light housings.

:infinity:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poor advertisement

Well....I bit the bullet and bought a grille refresh for the '68 RS. Classic Industries add was for "Restorer's Choice", supposed to be EXACT fit.....blah blah. This is the second time I've ordered an OER product from them that has needed other parts to finish the job, and it didn't come with or even tell you in the add that they were necessary.

I went from this,

to this.....

ALL because the adds didn't tell you that the part doesn't come with all the hardware to assemble the GRILLE......before you could put it in the car.

....and no, the rascal isn't mine

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,574 Posts
Yes , 15 in., and especially 14 in. tires are getting harder to find and there are fewer choices in styles/lettering etc. For those thinking of going to larger disc brakes at some point , most larger brakes require 17 in. or larger rims .

·
Registered
557 Posts
Had to spend monies on something NOT related to the Camino......
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/ktaylor0069/20161009_113242_zpswb53urcn.jpg

I drove the '68 to town (40 miles one way) and when I got there and was crawling around with my builder looking at her, I noticed how bad the shoes were.....I knew they were a little dry but found that they were cracking in the treads.......NOT good. I wanted to go 255's in the rear but only have 7" Rallies, so I settled for 235's all around. It stopped all the squalling when I turned corners and the rubbing at bumps.

On a side note: I couldn't believe how hard it was to find 15" tires.....called 5 shops before I found these at Discount tires.
Man, I had the same experience plus with my 235/60/15 BF Goodrich T/A's. about 3 years ago I rolled the elky out of the garage into the driveway to wash it and to clean the garage floor. the next day I started to roll it back in (I had a car cover on it but had high 80 degrees and full sun) and noticed and big half baseball size bump on the side of the tire. When I took a closer look at the rest, I saw the cracks at the treadline and a cut line that circled the whole diameter of the tire, also at the treadline. When I rolled it back in about 3/4 of the tread on 2 tires just pealed off and showed full width of the cords..a day later I noticed another tire..its tread jus basically fell off and flopped down onto the garage floor. I took the tires off via cutting them off with a reciprocating saw and put some Kelly tires on it w/ the OEM rally 14 inchers. Bummed me out..i still had 90 percent tread still left..Oh,side note...I put them on brand new back in 1992 then sat for 8 years in 1993 and finally started driving again in 2001-2005..and sat since then.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know the feeling, toyinghawaii, I let my 70 sit in my garage for 5 years, now I am paying the price to get the blood going again. :littleangel:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hahahahaha, Im in south Georgia, and I've found that 15's are hard to come by as well. :nanawoot:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I bought the "correct" rivets to put the '68 grille together. I didn't know it, and the add didn't say you needed a particular set tool for them......

BUT......a country boy will survive.....I said "EFF" it, got out the trusty pop rivet gun and put it together anyway. Looks decent enough to leave it for now.

Also installed some replacement walnut trim to make the interior look a little better.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are having some work done on the Camaro.
12422 (2).jpeg
Put the TH200 4R from the Camino to good use, replacing the Powerglide for better performance / freeway cruising.

20170304_175049 (2).jpg
Replacing the stock shifter above, with the Kilduff machine ratcheting unit below.
12741 (2).jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
12738 (2).jpeg
Part of the work being done is a Vintage Air unit, I decided to install a new radiator (stock unit had some seepage along the bottom), went with a Flex-a-lite direct fit unit and electric fan.

12735 (2).jpeg
A peek of what will be lurking behind the grille when it's done.

20180330_082145 (2).jpg
A shot of the firewall where the Vintage Air enters the cabin.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
20170401_125012 (2).jpg
I like this view!

12732 (2).jpeg
Shot of the new Calvert racing split mono-leafs with +1 rise, and Cal-tracs. I don't have a shot of the car on the ground, with it's new stance yet. It looks like I will be able to ditch the air shocks in favor of some Adjustable units without the tires colliding with the quarter panel though.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
20180330_082051.jpg

A shot of the Vintage Air center duct that was cut into the non-air bezel.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New stance

Have a few update picture for the '68

20180422_153415 (2).jpg

New stance with Caltracs and split mono-leafs (+1"). There is currently no air in the shocks, I will be installing some Calvert Racing 9 way adjustable rear shocks as money allows.

I spent all day Sunday tinkering on the '68, installing new lighting and finding out just how much work it will be to change from an RS grill to a standard grill.

20180422_104737 (2).jpg

A shot of the front marker lights after the rebuild to incorporate Digitails LED units.

20180422_104723.jpg

New lenses and gaskets.

20180422_152202.jpg

A shot of the Digitails marker light in action, MUCH brighter.

20180422_131525.jpg

Changed all the side marker light housings, lenses and bezels while adding new LED bulbs.

Overall I'm satisfied with the progress......with the exception of the grill change out. I didn't know it but RS fenders and Standard Camaro fenders are different. The outside corners of the standard headlight buckets AND the headlight bezel have nowhere to bolt up when used on an RS fender. I searched the internet and there is no bracket I can buy to go from RS to standard (there are brackets to go the other way though). I could buy a pair of standard fenders and cut the brackets off and add them to the RS fenders.....but I decided to just buy the parts to rebuild the RS headlights that I already have instead....someone had upgraded to electric actuators but didn't rebuild the doors with new bushings. I like the hide-away headlights anyway and ultimately it was cheaper and less hassle to rebuild them.

The 200-4R out of the El Camino is working flawlessly in the '68. Normally I used 1/4 tank going from home to town with the Powerglide, and the needle barely moved with the OD unit installed. The car gets off the line better than before and it doesn't sound like the engine is going to self destruct @ 70 mph on the highway.....I'd say that is the single best upgrade so far.

:driving:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts