El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to repaint my Elky. How much paint will I need to finish it. My paint code is 48 which is a Dark Grey Fern Metallic. This is the original factory paint color.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Depends on the brand of paint. Cheaper lines will take more coats to cover. High end lines will cover in 2 coats. Cheaper paints might take 4-6 coats.
Now if the entire car is primed, you may have a hard time seeing coverage. But when cleared and out in the daylight, you may see color differences at overlap areas such as door/fender and door/ quarter panel.
I painted mine with DuPont Chroma Premier. It costs a bit more than regular chroma-base but has different binders that cover faster. So 3 coats was all I needed, followed by 3 coats of DuPont clear.
I didn't spray inside the bed but did do the door jambs. I used about 2 quarts and 1 pint (2 1/2 qts) of color thru a Sata Jet 3000B 1.3 HVLP gun. The gun is a bit expensive but cheaper guns will use more paint.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
BTW I used the original color for my 78 GM code 15 silver. Your grey fern (grayish/green) should cover as quickly with the right paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts