El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be doing a couple paint jobs pretty soon and i want to upgrade from my 30$ gun from lowes, does anyone have any suggestions?
i want a decent gun for a decent price, nothing too radical

thanks!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yes,, go to Eastwoods products,, the Concours gun is the one I am going to buy in a month or so.. the full kit with stainless cups nozzels ect is around 400.00.. they have a Evolution gun for 100.00 that just might fit what you need,, I really like the Concours guns because of the people who have used them and really liked them,, I am no body guy by any means,, but I paln on shooting my frame, body and misc parts,, I have access to a paint booth and I am trying to get a blasting room inside my pole barn so I can keep the rest of my barn cleaner,, Matty man

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a SATAjet 3000 hvlp and lays down color really well and clear as smooth as glass. Pretty expensive new but you can find used ones for almost half of what they cost new. I've been thinking of buying another one so I have a separate gun for clear.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Sata, Iwata, Sharpe, devilbiss. Buy a name brand so you have parts support if needed in the future.

·
2,566 Posts
X2 on the Sata 3000 that's what I use. About $700 new but used is OK too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Totally agree on above - buy a good name brand - makes all the difference in the world. I have DeVilbiss JGA series guns - 502's and 510's - old school (not HVLP) but they are tried and true and easy to clean and rebuild.

When ordering guns, consider the changable fluid tips for the way you will spray. Certain tips are better for primer, others for metallics, clears, etc.

·
813 Posts
I always loved my old cup style Devilbiss guns. I had some of the best Binks and my Devilbiss out sprayed it everyday.....I agree.....Good named brand gun

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use a 30year old devilbiss 501 and still work good to day, i use thier air powered agitator cup to keep it mixed and the metalic suspended.nothing cheap is good and nothing good is cheap when it comes to paint guns

·
2,566 Posts
Well consider this... spray guns are all about material transfer. Average pint of base coat is anywhere from $55 to over a $100 depending on color, reds and pearls are off the charts! Average middle of the road clear set up, gallon clear and quart of activator are around $200. Those old convential cup on top non HVLP guns are illegal under EPA guidelines. Not to mention they leave small amounts in the cup unsprayable.
You laugh at $700 for a Satajet? Well suppose 98% of that $100/pint paint is on the car rather than flying through the air as overspray. Do this a few times a day and you'll pay for that gun in a week.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bobby78 makes a really good point - the cost savings alone for a good HVLP gun when considering ordering less paint and leaving most of it on the car as opposed to in the air would offset the extra cost of the gun in pretty short order. A friend of mine restoring a 63 Corvette just ordered $850 in paint, primer and sealer to paint his car RED, If he could have ordered 20% less due to a better gun that uses less paint, it would easily pay for itself in a couple paint jobs.

When I stopped doing bodywork professionally HVLP guns were brand new and consisted of a crappy gun attached to a vacuum cleaner - they were horrible (Flock of Seagulls was still popular on the radio at the time also :yell:). I opted to stay with my old fashioned siphon-cup spray guns which still work great today, but are certainly less environmentally friendly (more chemicals in the air) and cost more to use based upon lower efficiency.

Not sure if ChuckS doing a couple paint jobs would warrant a $700 gun, but certainly a decent HVLP setup from a good name brand would be in order. I will have to check out the SataJet for future use as I will be painting my 79 in the next year . . .

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the only issue with the 700 gun is the 700$ price. i only paint 2 or 3 cars a year at home in my shop its hard to justify the price no more than i use it. and as far as illegal , not for home use when you spray less than a gallon a day. had that talk with the epa. one of my tree hugger neighbors called them on me for painting my car in my garage. but am going to have to move to hvlp gun soon cant get parts for my old gun.i am looking at the evolution from eastwood 100$ cheaper than the 350 i paid for my old one in 82 and seems like a decent gun to start with.stay away from that harbor freight crap

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Match the gun you buy to your air supply and then spend money for a good gun.The difference will be the amount of work from when you finish spraying to the final product and the time and cost of getting it to an upperend daily driver finish will usually be close to the difference in the price of the guns.If you are looking for a better than average daily driver finish buy a middle of the road value gun. Before you buy try scanning through some of the other forums to see what guns are complained about and which ones are praised.Knowledge is what you seek before putting down your hard earned money.
The balance of the gun when loaded will mean a difference in how comfortable you are while you are spraying and how quick your arm will tire out,so when you handle the gun when empty it will feel a little handle heavy(slightly)for a gravity feed gun so that when you go to spray a hood or roof you will not be fighting the gun to keep it parallel to the panel.
Whichever you chose I wish you luck and enjoy the job.

·
2,566 Posts
You know a sharpe finex gun is a good "cheap" quality gun. If cheap and quality belong in the same sentence, LOL! I use a 1.8 for 2K primer. I was using a 1.3 for base/clearcoat but moved up to the sata for production. Only negative about the sharpe is the small cup but you could always add a bigger cup.

·
2,566 Posts
That gallon a day for home use is a gallon ready to spray, not a gallon of paint or primer. So just for giggles, when I repainted my 78 a few weeks ago, I used 2 quarts of basecoat, mixed 1:1 + activator so that's a gallon right there. Followed by say 3 quarts of sprayable (mixed) clear. This with the satajet 3000 hvlp. With an old conventional gun I would have used more. This is also silver over grey primer that covers in 2-3 coats. Some reds and blues take 6 or more to cover. So just beware of the treehugger with the camcorder running for 2 hours as you keep filling the gun. Most times those people couldn't give a .... about the environment, they're just jealous that you can and they can't. The fines are huge! Don't clean your gun by spraying it in the air, clean it by hand. And don't dump the waste thinner out behind the garage!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you have money to toss away, then, by all means, buy a $400 spray gun.

Red Regal,, this 400.00 is for a kit that includes 3 guns, and upgraded stainless steel cups,, I am looking for input from people who may of used the Eastwood guns,, I will check out the flee-bay guns you posted,, they blocked flee-bay at work so I have to wait till I get home :let_it_all_out:Thanks,, Matty man

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you have money to toss away, then, by all means, buy a $400 spray gun.

Red Regal,, this 400.00 is for a kit that includes 3 guns, and upgraded stainless steel cups,, I am looking for input from people who may of used the Eastwood guns,, I will check out the flee-bay guns you posted,, they blocked flee-bay at work so I have to wait till I get home :let_it_all_out:Thanks,, Matty man

Looks like they raised the price to $100 in this particular window, but if you look around, you may find this set cheaper. Unfortunately, the days of "you get what you pay for", are long gone. Pay top dollar, and you got screwed. If you pay $400 for the three gun kit you mentioned, I can buy 4Xs as many guns for $400. This set does happen to provide stainless steel cups and the guns spray very well.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx

1 - 20 of 33 Posts