El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few issues with the paint so I went to talk to Hector today to see what the plan was going to be to get it corrected. Just by looking you really couldn't tell anything was wrong in fact I had just noticed down at the bottom strip below the door the paint wasn't right. Around the moldings and door frames they weren't consistent but you wouldn't even know unless I told you but I know. We talked a little bit and he decided the best way was just re-shoot the complete paint job no charge. One question I didn't ask was how many coats of paint and clear coat he had used.

My question is sense were redoing the whole truck how many coats of paint and clear coat should be applied for a Daily driver on the road with all the nice crap laying around waiting for a chance to chip my paint? I'm sure he had put enough but I want to make sure even if it cost a little more to buy extra materials to avoid chips in the paint. I know you can't be avoided but I want to make it the best it can be now instead of later like I messed up my first paint job all by myself.:dontknow:

Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
If he is willing to do a free paint job,?? yours realy looks just fine !! however there is one that :secret::poke:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Well it all depends on the paint. This is why I asked before what brand of paint he was using. I use DuPont Chroma Premier. It's a bit pricey compared to some brands but a little cheaper than Spies-Hecker for example. But a pint of your color could easily be $100. When I sprayed my elky in 78 GM code 15 silver I used about 2 quarts that gave me 3 coats of color. Then another 3 coats of clear. Wet sand with 2000, and buff.
The whole idea of base coat clear coat is you spray enough base for hiding followed by 2-3 coats of clear. The manufacturers will recommend 2 coats of clear. But in a less than perfect world there will be spots that need some nub sanding from dirt that lands in the clear. You may also want the paint very flat unlike a modern orange peel finish on most new cars. So painters will do 3 or sometimes 4 coats of clear. But these are thin coats that will be sanded and buffed so in the end you'll wind up with the mil thickness of the 2 recommended coats anyway.
Now getting back to yours, you had it painted once before. Then again. So now you have the OEM finish with say some areas of primer and then 2-3 or more coats of color depending on hiding (coverage). Then more clear. Then you have this all over again a few weeks ago. Now you want it again? Too much material is not good. Will it work? Yes. But When you're done your car was painted 4 times!
How bad are the areas? What type of problems do you see? Are you seeing through the paint? Primer spots showing? Body work bleeding through?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well it all depends on the paint. This is why I asked before what brand of paint he was using. I use DuPont Chroma Premier. It's a bit pricey compared to some brands but a little cheaper than Spies-Hecker for example. But a pint of your color could easily be $100. When I sprayed my elky in 78 GM code 15 silver I used about 2 quarts that gave me 3 coats of color. Then another 3 coats of clear. Wet sand with 2000, and buff.
The whole idea of base coat clear coat is you spray enough base for hiding followed by 2-3 coats of clear. The manufacturers will recommend 2 coats of clear. But in a less than perfect world there will be spots that need some nub sanding from dirt that lands in the clear. You may also want the paint very flat unlike a modern orange peel finish on most new cars. So painters will do 3 or sometimes 4 coats of clear. But these are thin coats that will be sanded and buffed so in the end you'll wind up with the mil thickness of the 2 recommended coats anyway.
Now getting back to yours, you had it painted once before. Then again. So now you have the OEM finish with say some areas of primer and then 2-3 or more coats of color depending on hiding (coverage). Then more clear. Then you have this all over again a few weeks ago. Now you want it again? Too much material is not good. Will it work? Yes. But When you're done your car was painted 4 times!
How bad are the areas? What type of problems do you see? Are you seeing through the paint? Primer spots showing? Body work bleeding through?
What I think happened was he had three other projects going plus mine and they went to quick . First around edges like the door/hood when color sanding they missed painting or burned the paint. They forgot to paint the tailgate inner panels all together and around the chrome trim there's a fine line what I think was burned during color sanding because these are curved areas and it looks like he took off the trim one was scratched after I left it there. So on that I would say that all the edges around the truck need refinishing where anything can be opened or closed. Doors, Tail gate, Hood and trim. It's not all of it but enough to say all. On the lower part of one door it's orange peeled probably not color sanded correct and not noticeable unless your right on top of it. On the other door bottom I don't really know how to say this but the color not noticeable unless the lighting is just right and your face is a couple of inches looking at it looks like if you had ice cream and through is on the wall and it streaked down mixing with the wall paint. It's weird almost like a pearl paint when you see the different colors but with a streaking effect. Almost all this is not noticeable unless your looking for it. The last thing on one of the doors there were like two or three little white pin heads maybe from a piece of dust and kept it from the paint and when color sanding it came off and left a mark. It's a perfect white pin head but now there's a few more popping up the exact size and it's not from road chips it's on the upper part of the door and only on that one door nowhere else .

I know nothing about painting but I have seen a lot of his work on El Camino's and RTT here also has seen his work. My first paint job from him came out great but I messed it up over the years .

So I think it was a rush job and didn't get a through final inspection by Hector. By the pictures and video I posted it looks great until you walk up and start looking for things and I know where he burned or missed spraying that's where it's going to start chipping the paint over time and won't stop till it looks like sh*t.

When I first called and said there was a couple of issues with the paint his response was bring it in and it will be fixed. I think Hector after looking just shorty knew this wasn't a job he want's people to think he puts out so said maybe I will re-shoot the entire truck. I know from his work it will be corrected and leaving the truck for another week is no big deal but why me?:poke:
I don't think he does any of the work he has four other guys that do it all .

What do you think ? I know It won't come back the second time like this I'm sure.
Robert

One other thing that leads be to believe he didn't inspect it was it took me three days ten hrs. ea. to clean up the color sanding material in the engine bay and hidden areas like by the door hinges and area's like that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thing is, you paid the $$$ whatever that may have been to get a good paint job to your liking. Problems with the job arose, too quick, wrong technique used etc !!And it shows. He's a good painter we can see that all the way over here in TX. he should make it to your liking bottom line.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thing is, you paid the $$$ whatever that may have been to get a good paint job to your liking. Problems with the job arose, too quick, wrong technique used etc !!And it shows. He's a good painter we can see that all the way over here in TX. he should make it to your liking bottom line.
He's already said it's a done deal but if it was done right the first it saves him and I both time but his money. I told him I would drop it off Monday but he said he wouldn't be there thur/fri. so the week after is it so he will be working on it for a week. Maybe he's going to strip all the new paint and start over.? It only took him a min. to say he would probably just re-shoot the complete truck so he didn't take the time to watch over the workers job. Witch should be done on every car. Maybe too busy but he will make sure it's right this time. I didn't take the day off to pick it up so at 4:30 closing time when I picked it up I didn't look at it like I should have before I drove away or it would have never left. That's my fault.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Robert
Those gray specks you mention on one door might be a bit of dirt in the under coat. Either in the primer or the sealer. He may have sealed the car before shooting color with a non-sanding sealer. This technique is called wet on wet. Only probelm is it's a bit hard to see any fine nibs in the sealer. Problem is the base lays very flat so those little nibs tend to show.
Orange peel on the door bottom, may have been sprayed a little too dry but could probably be sanded down and buffed. Sometimes you'll see little pinholes in those areas where heavy orange peel or dry clearcoat was sanded flat. Cut throughs or burns on the crown lines. Maybe an over zealous color sand. Or maybe the color didn't cover that well. Sometimes what looks perfect indoors isn't as nice in the bright sun. As far as a bit of orange peel close to the moldings they might have put the moldings back on before colorsanding and buffing. Then it's real hard to get in close and almost looks like they never took them off.
Seems like you got a good guy there though. Some shops would give you a bit of a hard time. Some might say they didn't charge you enough for anything better, etc. Some might even say you went home and rubbed through the lines and it wasn't that way when it left.
Good luck and don't worry. I'm sure it'll be fine this time around!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert
Those gray specks you mention on one door might be a bit of dirt in the under coat. Either in the primer or the sealer. He may have sealed the car before shooting color with a non-sanding sealer. This technique is called wet on wet. Only probelm is it's a bit hard to see any fine nibs in the sealer. Problem is the base lays very flat so those little nibs tend to show.
Orange peel on the door bottom, may have been sprayed a little too dry but could probably be sanded down and buffed. Sometimes you'll see little pinholes in those areas where heavy orange peel or dry clearcoat was sanded flat. Cut throughs or burns on the crown lines. Maybe an over zealous color sand. Or maybe the color didn't cover that well. Sometimes what looks perfect indoors isn't as nice in the bright sun. As far as a bit of orange peel close to the moldings they might have put the moldings back on before colorsanding and buffing. Then it's real hard to get in close and almost looks like they never took them off.
Seems like you got a good guy there though. Some shops would give you a bit of a hard time. Some might say they didn't charge you enough for anything better, etc. Some might even say you went home and rubbed through the lines and it wasn't that way when it left.
Good luck and don't worry. I'm sure it'll be fine this time around![/QUOTE

I'm sure I will be O.K. and after taking a closer look at the paint I can see why Hector said he would redo the whole truck. When I stopped by yesterday I parked out front in the sun and when we walked out I started telling him what I thought and he really didn't take a close look. I think he knew right away it needed to be done over. I only showed him the trim before he made the comment of shooting the whole truck plus when I said I would drop it off Monday he said let's wait till the week after because he wouldn't be there Thur./Fri. so it looks like he needs a week or longer to do it correct.
Thanks for the reply:beer:
Robert

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Oh man, you just getting to picky in your old age!!!:poke:
No, you need to be happy with it and it sounds like he's going to take care of you!!!!
Good luck.:beer:
Donny

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
By the way

By the way The Blue type print is my trade mark,so you will need to choose a diffrent color ,Thanks and have a great day !
:poke::poke:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hey robert i hope it gets worked out for ya it looks great in the pics
so you got a pic of ddd pimping himself hmmmmm:poke::beer::texas:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey robert i hope it gets worked out for ya it looks great in the pics
so you got a pic of ddd pimping himself hmmmmm:poke::beer::texas:
Remember the one I posted last year of his wife in the Elco holding up the two quarters and I changed the paint to pink on the whole picture.? I was over on the dark side racers.:secret::secret:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts