El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
I not an expert here on paint but I do know the NEW paint of TODAY is not made of the same stuff of the 80's. I had my '72 Datsun 240Z painted last year. I went with the factory color mix but it came out looking a much different tint of color. They said it was the new paint having the new environment formulas?

·
Registered
257 Posts
maybe they had a little too much to drink and decided to switch the colors...maybe u should consider painting the car yourself.. it isnt that hard just need the paint and the sprayer

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmmm...I have never painted a car before, but I would think painting a car would be a "huge" project! I always hear its not the spraying of the paint that is the hardest it is all the many hours of prep work.

Plus the tuff laws in different states you just can't paint a car in your garage like before.

·
Registered
257 Posts
well when u do it urself then u gain more respect for your car.... u treat her better and ride her better(that sounds a little off). Its actualy kind of fun... but self inflicting pain is always a downside to this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want to duplicate original factory colors with new generation paints, have your paint supplier give the original paint codes to the manufacturer's rep and he should be able to give them a mix code that exactly duplicates the original colors. I did it several times in the late 80's, early 90's, when I was doing a 56 and 57 Golden Hawk. Good luck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
79Suzy said:
it isnt that hard just need the paint and the sprayer
No its not really that hard, but you need alot more than just the paint and a sprayer.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It can end up costing a lot more to fix later. It is a little bit more than just finding a clear calm day to spray on. Ventilation and debris floating around.

I'd say you should know the paint and chemicals it took to activate it. You should know your sprayer and how it works, you really should have a paint booth but that will probably never be possible. A steady arm and all day free, possibly more just to finish painting first time.

High dollar paint is not a good paint to learn how to paint with. Once you've established a good foundation spraying over it is simple.

Bodywork is more of a learned skill. It takes a while to get the hang of what to do when and where. Bondo on bare metal can kill an expensive paint job. Laying down fresh paint shows up any imperfection along a body panel.

But none of this will matter if it turns out right and doing it yourself is pretty cool too. Well, for me it is. So hey if it feels like you can, you can. I don't think you'll save a whole lot of money but some possibly.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
paint job

What are the wa #'s. You can get almost any older color in single stage or base clear. I wouldn't use anything but urathane.don't go cheep.You get what you pay for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts