El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm window shopping for paint for my 74. saw a really sweet cobalt blue metallic that i think would look quite nice on her. my question is, how much paint do i need to properly paint my elkie? this is a new thing for me, so i have no clue how much i'd need. i'm considering tackling it myself as i'd enjoy learning something new. also, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey there,

If you are changing the color, then you will need enough to paint the jambs and hood / fender edges. At least 1 1/2 gallons of the base color (the pickup bed uses a lot). It is wise to have more than you need anyway as it will most likely be mixed by the supplier and that way you have extra for touch-ups and repairs later. Base coat / clear coat paint is recommended as the weather and acid rain will do damage quickly to single stage paint.

As for tips, that is tough as the list is miles long. If your car has many layers of paint on it, it should be stripped to bare metal. I would recommend looking at Amazon for books on the basics of body work and paint, or befriend someone with the tools and knowledge and learn it. It is highly rewarding to coplete your forst paint job and say "I did it myself".

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I just repainted my 5th gen. Body only no jambs or bed with 2 quarts of base and about 1 1/2 qts clear. It also depends on coverage. With a good base coat 2-3 coats of color is all you need. The cheaper brands will need more coats.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The color you choose also makes a difference in how many coats it takes to cover. I recently did a repair to my 2000 GMC pickup in the factory burgundy metallic, using DuPont Chromabase paint and it took 6 coats to cover the red sealer before I could clear. When you finish the final primer, choose a sealer that is close in color to the final color as it will mean less base coats before clear. Solid colors usually cover in less coats than metallics in general.

The 74 is a whale of a car for coverage - keep that in mind when buying paint . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts