El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what exactly was factory for screws that hold door latches and tailgate hinges, mine are painted. Obviously taking it apart they get damaged and I plan on painting disassembled, then the will get damaged putting it back together. What about just cleaning them up or using a thin black paint that is not as likely to chip.

· Registered
358 Posts
Nick, Of course you'll mark up any painted screw or bolt you apply a driver or socket to. But as I have done in the past, after you screw everything back together, get a mixture of matching paint (in flat black or color of exterior), and dab the screw or bolt with a small light wet paint brush. You'll never know the difference. Auto Parts stores pretty much have the matching color paint for every car out there. - George :yell:

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick, Of course you'll mark up any painted screw or bolt you apply a driver or socket to. But as I have done in the past, after you screw everything back together, get a mixture of matching paint (in flat black or color of exterior), and dab the screw or bolt with a small light wet paint brush. You'll never know the difference. Auto Parts stores pretty much have the matching color paint for every car out there. - George :yell:
Yeah we do this at our shop but just wondering what they were from factory, cars gonna be the new Synergy green on the new Camaro's. Haven't looked at the formula yet but assuming its have a good content of pearl in it, that makes touching up more difficult.

· Registered
344 Posts
Have this same question myself. I think the screws were painted body color. I have my 86 in the paint shop now. Mine was repainted before I bought it, but I can say the repaint probably did not include the door jams. The GM Mgf, Tire Pressue, and Air Shock labels are still in place and the screws match the door color.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Door hinge bolts, door strikers, and tailgate hinges are painted body color. Fender bolts were either a flat medium blue in the early "A" body years 78-81, or flat black later on.
Check with professional tool companies like Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell, etc for non-marring sockets. But remember the paint needs to be fully cured.

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Door hinge bolts, door strikers, and tailgate hinges are painted body color. Fender bolts were either a flat medium blue in the early "A" body years 78-81, or flat black later on.
Check with professional tool companies like Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell, etc for non-marring sockets. But remember the paint needs to be fully cured.
Mines a 72, the same you think? I didn't know snap on made such sockets..I'll have to ck that out. I'm pretty sure upper fender bolts are painted. I did think that latch screws would have originally been the zinc coated look but most people mask the latch, I don't though, they're already out.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Most if not all GM vehicles were assembled and painted without the front fenders, hood, header panel installed. If you look at a 100% car with original paint you'll see sometimes the fenders, hood don't quite match the rest of the body color. That's because they were sprayed at different times and places along the assembly line. It shows up mostly on metallics, not too much on solids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.