El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard somewhere that originally at the factory the driveshafts had painted stripes on it to designate what the driveshaft was for. Would anyone know what the colors of the stripes would be for a TH 400 tranny with a 12 bolt rear for my 1970 El Camino SS 396? I know they were marked on the build sheet however, I have not found my build sheet yet. I have found one not for my car but someone elses in my elky. Hopefully I will find it if no one can help me with this info.

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dude you really need to get that book I was talking about in your other post :lol: I'm not certain if the paint daub colors are covered in the book but I wouldn't it doubt if they are. The assembly manual is great cause it's what the assembly line workers used to refferance when the cars were being built. I'll check my '72 book to make sure it's in there.

Here's a pic. off LS6 Benchmark(it's a guys site who has a very original 454 Chevelle). The pic. shows the band placement on the shaft although the color is for the 454 but at least it will give you an idea of what it should look like.
Paint daub on driveshaft pic.

Check out some of his other pics. of the chassis. You'll notice paint marks on the tie rods,ect. Pretty much everything on the underside got a inspection mark somewhere. The rear,the trans. cooler lines,the list goes on and on. You might wanna shoot an email off to the guy who has that site and maybe get some more indepth pics. from him as the Chevelle uses the same markings. While your at it,I'm pretty sure Eastwood has a paint daub kit. If not I'm sure one of the Corvette suppliers do.

BTW,how'd you make out with that diecast company? Are they gonna build a model of your car?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the die cast model of my car is in progress. I just got a reply from the guy who took the photos and measurements and he said it generally takes a year for the die cast models to hit the shelfs for retail sale. my dad and I are eagerly awaiting that.

As for the hyperlinks that you had on your reply, for some reason this computer I am on at work can not link it to the site. Maybe you can drop me an email at [email protected].

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts