El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Conquista,LS1 w 4l60e,3:42 posi,DD instruments and cruise
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the local paint shop mix some SEM vinyl paint for me. I sprayed all the interior trim in my 85 yesterday and have some paint left over. Has anyone ever painted a "fuzzy" headliner with the vinyl paint? How did it turn out? The material is in good shape and is only a little dirty around the dome light. I installed new buckets out of an Olds Alero and was going to have them, the visors and headliner recovered but got to thinking about the paint option.

I've had others tell me they have painted carpet and or seats and the results have been great when using the vinyl paint. It seems a little strange to me. Other than cleaning my paint gun again I could sure try it and check out the results and always remove the material and recover anyhow. But thought I'd run it by you guys first.

Tia.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I wouldn't. The failure mode I've seen with headliners from that era is that the cloth pulls away from the hard backing material.

Paint will make the cloth heavier and that failure could occur sooner. I'd remove the entire headliner, backing and all, and glue in new cloth.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Member
4,624 Posts
X2. You can DIY your headliner with new material for less than $25, with enough left over to redo your visors as well. It's especially easy if you already have your interior trim already pulled out.

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
I have sprayed mine with the SEM paint. It looks good but a different shade than the vinyl. The same paint was used on both. I purchased the headliner and didn't buy the right color.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I had the local paint shop mix some SEM vinyl paint for me. I sprayed all the interior trim in my 85 yesterday and have some paint left over. Has anyone ever painted a "fuzzy" headliner with the vinyl paint? How did it turn out? The material is in good shape and is only a little dirty around the dome light. I installed new buckets out of an Olds Alero and was going to have them, the visors and headliner recovered but got to thinking about the paint option.

I've had others tell me they have painted carpet and or seats and the results have been great when using the vinyl paint. It seems a little strange to me. Other than cleaning my paint gun again I could sure try it and check out the results and always remove the material and recover anyhow. But thought I'd run it by you guys first.

Tia.
I've seen it done before and results are objective. I remember one guy with faded carpet and no cash just sprayed it with some flat black Krylon and it looked pretty good for a couple years until he could afford some new carpet! Now, you must understand that his carpet looked OK when loking at it through the window, but get inside and not so good. So, guess I'm sayin you really don't have much to loose, as darbysan pointed out, with new material less than $25?

Joe

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
I don't know how it will work for you, but the SEM says on the can it will work on fabric. I did mine back in 2011.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,397 Posts
William, aka DogBunny, told me about using SEM spray paint for the carpet a month ago. I'm sure he's seen more than his fair share of tricks like that.

·
Registered
1985 Conquista,LS1 w 4l60e,3:42 posi,DD instruments and cruise
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading Darby's and B52's comments I decided against the paint. I checked mine real close and as stated in the earlier comments it was coming loose in a few places. So I spent some time on the patio removing the old foam. Numerous phone calls revealed Covid19 has taken its toll on available headliner material. Joann's has none available and found three colors available at Hobby Lobby but no acceptable colors. So today I'm going to another upholstery shop to get quotes on the headliner, visors and buckets. The one quote I have for $2200 seems high!
Thanks for the comments and replies.

·
Supporting Member
4,624 Posts
You might also check local Upholstery Supply stores. We have one here in Vegas that I use, and their prices are very good for material. They may ship, if you can't find another source. Home - Santa Barbara Upholstery Supplies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts