El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What results have you found using different means of coloring interior hard plastic (console/dash/mouldings, etc)? Generic aerosols? Mixed paint? Gloss/satin? I want to replace some of my broken/faded pieces and would like an original looking match. I know vinyl seats/door panels should use some type of flexible agent to prevent them from cracking, but what about rigid items? This is a great forum for us to share ideas/tips!!!

Charlie

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think it was TWO GUYS GARAGE on the SPEEDCHANNEL that did a nice piece on this subject a couple of weeks ago. Use a 3M scotchbrite pad on the hard plastic pieces to clean up, and then paint them the color you want using very light coats and allowing each coat to dry before you apply the next coat. On vinyl, wipe clean with lacquer thinner first and then use a spray dye, also applying light coats and allowing each coat to dry before the next. Too much too soon and you'll ruin the grain effect and have peeling problems later.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I use Dupont vinyl dye I get from the local paint and body supply house. They can match any interior color and finish (gloss/satin) I need. I usually scothbright the hard plastic as theelcaminofactory stated, and then wipe with thinner. Same with the soft stuff. I use a HVLP spray gun, but you can get it in spray cans too. The dye dries fast, so, it doesn't take too long between coats. Of course, I generally stick with original or colors close to original. And, realize, if you're dying seats and door panels, the dye will eventually wear, and you'll need to recoat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 1964 boat with a vinyl interior i restored with SEM products. The interior had faded from brick red to the most ungodly pink color. I followed all SEM's instructions and the vinyl restored beautifully! I dont have any experience with ABS or other hard plastics tho. Best luck and i would love to hear how things turn out for you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts