El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the next 3 weekends i will be painting my elky. the first 2 weekends i will be using scrap paint and blocking in betweent each weekend and the final weekend i will lay the color i am using. so when i am done i will have some pics posted.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey 86,

I'm curious about what you mean when you say you will be using "scrap paint" and blocking it - ?? Do you mean you are using other paint as a base paint and final coating over it ot are you using it for your body final block sanding coats?? If the latter is true, why don't you use a good fill and sand primer for final blocking??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did use a good primer we just have some scrap paint and we are trying to get the body as slick as possible. the scrap paint will also reveal any minor dings and bumps we did not see with the primer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well in the spring i am going to start work on my paint job as well. Just am undesided if i want to put a black racing stripe down the hood and leave the Air dam black. I think that would look cool. Just hope me and the guy that is going to paint it can do a good job. It is going to take some work but if that is what it takes to get a satisfied job i will take my time. Just hope i can do it for under $1,500.00???????? 8O

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I honestly can't see a good paint job for that. Bottom range would be something like 2500 and go up from there depending on the type and brand of paint. Since your doing this with someone then you've cut down the cost by a lot. Imagine paying a person 60 to $80.00 an hour to do bodywork and block sand. A good paint job, my opinion, takes a lot of effort and time and money. It all works out for the best in the finished product.

If your changing colors I would think that 3,000.00 is a bottom line paint job. Everything has to be painted to look right with a color change.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah brand of paint usually does depend on the price. but b/c my dad does body and paint work for a living, the labor part of the paint job cost me noting. just the materials which is pretty expensive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
mk1264 said:
Well in the spring i am going to start work on my paint job as well. Just am undesided if i want to put a black racing stripe down the hood and leave the Air dam black. I think that would look cool. Just hope me and the guy that is going to paint it can do a good job. It is going to take some work but if that is what it takes to get a satisfied job i will take my time. Just hope i can do it for under $1,500.00???????? 8O

Well i am Going to save some more money towards my paint job since I want it done better. I am thinking about painting the car the color it is on thetop half of the car. And painting the air dam black with the lower jhlaf of the car black with a black racing stripe down the hood. Sound like it will look good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts