El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steel rally wheels are silver and in good shape with nice trim rings and top hats. I want to paint them orange to match the orange stripe on the side of my silver Elky. What do I need to do to prep them for paint? Also, I know about Eastwood wheel paint but can I use engine paint? I don't want them to peel.
Thanks,
RTT

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I repainted a set of my 16"irocs(for loading and unloading the queen on her transport.YES my g's are trailer queens)& like mentioned^^^I washed them about 4 times with a scotch BRITE pad,then let them dry and hit them with some metal clean and then metal prep(por-15 product) & rinsed them with water and then dryed.I then applyed a coat of por-15,followed up with a top coat of chassis black gloss.this was for the black parts of rims(inner spokess,,stripes,and where lugnuts rest.)for the fascia,silver,polished areas)I built up a high polish luster with a dremme,whipped clean and applied there "PC clean"clearcoat.the products have held up GREAT,and remain with the "show quality"appearance I was going for! They are currently on my 87 mcss frame im building up for my mcss,which is at my cuzns getting some fitments done to it.when I get it back and body back on (within a month or so)ill post some pics.for your want of the orange id go with the por-15 (silver)& then top coat with there "hardnose" paint line.all this talk of orange and I am shocked keyser hasnt chim:laughing3:ed in?!?!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Take them to a wheel shop (where they do straightenings, custom backspacings, etc. They most likely will have a bead blasting set-up, or some type of stripping set up to take them down to bare metal. I took mine to STOCKTON WHEEL here in stockton ca. and they stripped them for me for $10 a piece. I then cleaned them with brake cleaner and a rag to remove residue and dust. then hit them with 4 coats of rustoleum automotive dark grey primer, because its self etching, and has rust inhibiting agents in the paint. Then i hit it with 4 coats of rustoleum flat black paint. Rustoleum is a very good paint i've found. I've painted 4 sets of wheels over the years on different cars using the "rattle-can" method, and its all about taking your time, do the proper prep work, apply coats as directed, and you will have great looking wheels that will last. Do not neglect the prep work. Thats 90% of it. The actual painting will happen in only a couple hours. The prep might take you days.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,580 Posts
all this talk of orange and I am shocked keyser hasnt chim:laughing3:ed in?!?!
That's one of the valuable benefits of membership in this board. We have such a wide database of knowledge, it's hard to find a topic that someone hasn't "been there, done that". We have people experienced in all things transmission-related, people who have replaced their anemic small-blocks with big-block Buick or Cadillac motors and last but not least, a true zen master in all things automotive and orange.

Where are you Keyser?

Bill

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
For paint to stick to anything you must have a nicely prepared surface. 2 Basics for what you want to do here:

1. Sand the surface. This provides small scratches in the surface for the new paint to adhere to. I would use some 100 or 120 grit and sand all the sidewalls as well as the surfaces you see that are not covered by the trim rings or center caps.

2. Just before painting, wipe the entire surfaces down lightly with laquer thinner, do not use too much that you will soften the old paint but enough to get any residue off the old paint.

Next is the painting process, simple but basically make sure you wipe all the to be painted surfaces down with a prep rag (waxed). You can get these pretty cheap ($1 to $2) in the paint section of places like Home Depot or Lowes.

From there it is simply paint away. Try to do the painting in a low himidity atmosphere or on a day that is low humidity (not when it is raining).

Just my $.02

Bruce

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the info. I was thinking that powercoating was the only way to go. I might try it with paint instead.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Totally worth it to paint your wheels yourself. Powdercoating is great and all, but i have 2 hands and a garage, and have had good results previously painting wheels myself.
Here are my self-painting results:

And when people comment on your good looking wheels and you tell them that you painted them yourself, is nice too

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts