El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got a question about parking brake cables. So i was going to replace all 3 of them on my 83 elky. and the ones they sent me look nothing like what is on my car. does anybody happen to have a diagram of what the parking brake cables are suppost to look like and whare/how they go in and connect up?

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Allow an entire Saturday to change them all. See where that front one takes a sharp turn upward to mate up with the E brake pedal assembly? It goes out thru the firewall, down behind the left front inner fender panel, then goes into the framerail.

When you are done replacing that front piece, you will be a very religious person, and will have invented new words! (&&$^&%^**&%*&%&&)

here's a link. quote below was taken from the link.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=39227&highlight=parking+brake+cables

remember, SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!

NAPA carries all the cables, tho your local store may have to order them.

That front cable will expand your vocabulary (%$&**$#^%$%$%)!! Easiest way to get it in is to take off the drivers side front tire, then take the drivers front inner fender loose too. The cable comes out thru the firewall, runs down behind the inner fender, goes into the framerail, then comes out the framerail again farther back. It's also a LOT easier to get the front cable end attached to the pedal assembly if you take the pedal assembly loose from the left kickpanel. Allow a morning to install the front cable alone, since you don't have one in there now to see how it goes in.

Ask me how I know!

Our prayers and sympathies go with you.

remember, there are FOUR bolts holding the pedal assembly to the kick panel. 3 you can see in a triangle pattern on lower part of the bracket. The 4th is at the very top of the bracket, and you have to find and remove/replace it by feel, because you'll never ever be able to see it unless you remove the dash.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys this is what i needed. i was suprised that the parking brake diagram wasnt in my book. and i searched the web for it but to no avail.

i think mine are butchered by previous owner now that i see the image. i got no connector for front/back and im not even sure i got an equalizing arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts