El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a High Pressure switch for my 78. Recently replaced the A6 compressor with a rebuilt Four Seasons A6. The new one didn't come with a pressure switch so I used the old one. Compressor would only work sometimes. When it didn't come on, I'd need to wiggle the pin on the switch and then it would work for a few days. Eventually wiggling it didn't work. So compresser is running with the wire grounded. I also replaced the hose, evap, and accumulator. Charged the system with R12. Blows cold. Very cold.
So anyway, I really don't want to lose the freon. If I replace the switch on the compressor I'll have to evacuate the freon. I don't have a recovery machine for R12. So I'd rather add a switch on the High Side hose fitting. I bought a Four Seasons switch part # 35835 that I thought would work but the threads are larger than the fitting on the hose. The switch would fit the Low Side port on the accumulator/receiver. But that's not good.
So anybody have a part number for a switch that will fit the smaller fitting on the High Side hose?

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Bobby, most of the A6's did not have a high pressure cutout. Instead they had a pop off or a they had a little three wire inline fuse thingy that would blow if the clutch pulled too much current but rarely would either one come into play. If the system is working good you should be fine running without it - yes it is better to have it I agree to protect the system but really if the factory could run millions of systems without it you hopefully will be fine. Understand the not wanting to loose the 12!
Robert, I can't remember what the little black fuse was called - help!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Mine didn't have a fuse it has the switch that mounts on the back of the compressor with the c-spring clip. I could probably find the number if that's what he needs? It connects to the green and black wire.:dontknow: The other switch that screws on I just through it out last week. I can find the number. Is this what you want?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Santech-A-C-clutch-cycle-switch/_/N-25z1?itemIdentifier=79213_0_0_

Part Number: MT0674
Warranty: 0 MO

Notes: A/C pressure in compressor switch. Low pressure cut-off.

Add More Items

Part Number: MT0678

Notes: A/C pressure in compressor switch. High pressure cut-off.

Add More Items to Compare

Part Number: MT0499

Notes: Liquid line mounted; Low pressure cut-off

Add More Items

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert
If I use that one I'd have to evacuate the system. I was looking for one that mounts on the fitting on the hose.

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neil
That's a thermal limiter fuse. My 73 caddy has it. My 78 elky had the switch in the back of the compressor. It's been running for a few weeks w/o it but I would rather "know" (or think) it's protected than kill the new compressor.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Bobby, these have gotten few and far between in the past ten years. I have found several discontinued part numbers, but think I found you a good number for one from UAC in Mansfield, TX
817-740-3900

#SW 9060

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Bobby, most of the A6's did not have a high pressure cutout. Instead they had a pop off or a they had a little three wire inline fuse thingy that would blow if the clutch pulled too much current but rarely would either one come into play. If the system is working good you should be fine running without it - yes it is better to have it I agree to protect the system but really if the factory could run millions of systems without it you hopefully will be fine. Understand the not wanting to loose the 12!
Robert, I can't remember what the little black fuse was called - help!
The 78 did come with a high pressure switch in the back that would open the ground circuit to the clutch if the rear head got too hot due to excessive pressure. Earlier A6's had a superheat switch that would ground and melt the inline, three pin thermal limiter.

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Robert thanks. I'll give them a call.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts