El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am sure Mike doesnt either thats why I said I didnt want to step on his toes but if you look into the history of this trans and the metalergy it is very hit and miss on the quality of hard parts so to be safe it is recommended by not only Chris at CKPerformance, but also guys like Art Carr and other big name known 200-4r builders that the input drum shaft be replaced with a much harder billet one.

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
The input drum is a weak point on cars over 450HP. Im running over 425HP in my elky and beat up on it everytime I take it out. I've raced it at Sacramento Speedway and its held up for 3 years now. That build sheet was created for the average HP street motor which isn't running more than 450HP. I wouldn't run that trans behind a big block that's really built strong. I've been doing this for 38 years now and have info to build that trans stronger than the build sheet I posted. You just better be ready to pay if you want to play. It gets very expensive when you go beyond what I posted. Ive been building Transmissions long before that trans hit the market.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Like previously Stated Mike I dont doubt your ability to build transmissions I just error on the side of caution Chris over at CKPermance builds a trans with the billet forward drum for under 2 grand not a bad deal bang for the buck. I also think the Elephant in the room is the Weight issue 450hp on a 5th gen vs 450hp on a 4th gen your talking 500+ extra lbs depeneding on trim level you add a fat girl to the equation and the straw on the camels back gets heavier thats been my entire point here. Too many people get hooked on a realative horse power number but Traction, Weight, Torque curve, Stall, launch RPM and all add into the factor of x hp will break said part. Budget build parts list for a strong street strip trans in a lighter fifth gen I agree with the list outside of that I think you need to add the billet forward drum. Also you being a trans guy would you agree or disagree that there are other guys out there that are more knowledgable in certain transmissions than you are? I am not knocking your a good tranny guy I am just saying if your gunna build a certian trans you might want to go toward a subject matter expert especially in a tempermental transmission like the 200-4r.

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
We teach rookies on easy models of transmissions like that. I know about all the updates and existing HP parts out there. Those Transmissions are not finicky if you know what you are doing. I don't think you realize how many of those ive built. You do what you like if it makes you feel better. The build sheet is a good one for over 90% of cars out there, maybe more. Now that you've added your point about it, others can see that and install it if they want to.

IF you knew what it takes to understand and repair or rebuild 7-8-9 speed Transmissions, up to eleven speeds, you wouldn't be telling me that someone knows more about a very simple 4 speed automatic. The guys that build a lot of those would be lost trying to build what we see every day on modern cars. Have a good day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dexron Fluid

Related question, but not directly related. I am installing a performance 200R4 and am curious on fluid recommendations. The latest is Dexron 6, and most older cars recommended Dexron III. Most products on the shelf now are Dexron/Mercon types. Is this a cop-out fluid, or should you stick to straight Dexron, and would that be the Six?

Thanks, Ralph

21 - 26 of 26 Posts