El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
How u doin tranny mike im pulled a tranny from 1996 impala ss and now i want to put in elky but it has no reverse and i want to build it to hold up some abuse wat can u advise my on a parts list that i should to and also im installing wat its know as the little black box to manual shift wat u think

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
I'll step in for just a second in place of Mike since he's gonna need more info and might save you some waiting time. So if you pulled it from a 96, it's going to be an E trans. Are you willing to install $1000 stand alone computer for the trans or install an OEM electronics motor, convert to an electronic speedo etc etc? If you're not going to run electronics, you'll need to go with a 700r4 or a 200-4r. Advantages to both. Myself, I'd go with a 700r4, but I'm prejudice and just admit that up front. What you'll want to start with to make a somewhat beefy 700r4 is one that is an 88-93 model. 87 will be OK if that's what you come up with, but avoid the 86 down for a perfomance build. But, there might be some hard parts in that 96 trans you'll want to use in your 700r4 build since it's from an SS. That's the LT1 motor is it not?

O

·
0 Posts
Yes its from an lt1 engine and i found a shop that makes a stand alone manual computer for about 300.00 dollar i dont mind rebuilding trans then spending another 300.00 for computer im looking for advise because ive had 2 700r4 in past and would hold up properly i dont know if it was the place i took them to get overhauled or wat but i currently work at a gm dealer and tranny guy told me to but rebuild kit and he would do it

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
A 4L60-E is a 700r4-E, this is why I mentioned you might want to use some of the hard parts out of the 4L60-E in the 700r4 build. Granted there are some updates in the 60-E because it's a later model, but if you weren't happy with a 700r4's longevity, or can we say, shortgevity?, you're likley not going to be happy with a 4L60-E either. There are common things known to cure some issues, like the 3-4 clutch pack upgrade, Beast or Smart Shell, and a few other things. Just saying, not alot of difference between the 2. They share the same internals up to the pump. Only real difference, is one uses a computer to tell it to shift, one uses the old shcool stuff to tell it when to shift like a TV cable. Your old 700r4 builds may have also been pre 86 units. An improper TV cable adjustment will kill a 700r4 pretty quick too.

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just informing you, there isn't much difference.

That is a fair deal on the computer though if it comes with the wiring harness too. I wonder if it wil work on 4L80-E??? Maybe you can find out for us, and get us some info to that place.

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thats a good price for that kit. If I'm not installing a shift kit that already has the .500 Boost valve in the pump, I'd get that too. There is a corvette servo kit that has the boost valve and updated accumulator pistons and seals included. Transtar industries sells it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hotrodpc and Trannymike have got it all together. I have built many just like they described and they will hold up to high horsepower. Thanks for the list Trannymike, sometimes customers don't realize how much goes into a performance build.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
About how much would all the parts that Mike listed cost?

Also, can the average mechanic handle the upgrade? I've built engines for years, but never an automatic transmission.

Jack

·
Registered
564 Posts
About how much would all the parts that Mike listed cost?

Also, can the average mechanic handle the upgrade? I've built engines for years, but never an automatic transmission.

Jack
Again, no affiliation with this vendor, but I'm looking at about $440 from transmissionpartsusa.com. I still need a donor tranny! So I'm a ways away from ordering anything.

Also I'm not 100% sure I have exactly the right stuff in that list. For example, there's a kevlar band, but I'm not sure if it's the right one -- their site lists two, one that's like 2.25" and another that's like 2.675" or so. I think it's missing the Sonnax sun gear bushing, too.

Attachments

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The Kevlar band is the stock width but Kevlar. The wider band is an Alto band and is made with a high energy friction material. I really don't know which is more durable, but I have the Kevlar band in my ride. It went through very tough street races and once at the Sacramento speedway. I recently had to replace a bearing and freshened it up. I beat the heck out of it for 3years. I'm hard on it because it's easy for me to repair. I did recently go through my trans and I'm trying a new HP Borg Warner band that I've never used. I'll let you know what I think about it.

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didn't think any elky past 81 came stock with a 350 unless you got a diesal just from my own shopping and research the SS badge was just cosmetics only V-8 offered gas was a 305
We're talking about a 700-R4. :yell:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can anyone recommend particular books and/or videos for how to rebuild a 700R4?

I've never done anything more than change a filter in a tranny, but I'd like to replace my TH350 with something with more gears.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mike, I attempted to send you a private message but your box is full. Just thought you should know in case you weren't aware. Regards, Barry

21 - 40 of 44 Posts