El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished painting passenger side this morning. Replaced floor pans yesterday. Rear rust was caused by missed spot weld in 79. Blew a small hole in rear pan and was never fixed. Can’t see the road now. Driver’s side was fine.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Vehicle door
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Road surface
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Trunk
Green Textile Sleeve Grey T-shirt

·
Registered
871 Posts
Nice job! But I definitely would NOT do what Wayne suggests...dynamite may end up blowing huge holes in your floor :LOL:

However, all kidding aside, some type of dynamat sound deadening is definitely a good idea! In addition, I would also recommend making sure your underside seams are sealed with seam sealer as well as undercoating. Basically, you want to do a good job so you don't have to revisit this area again.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
356 Posts
Hat Trick, keep us updated on what repairs fixed your center vents. My Caballero suffers from the same ailment.
BTW, your interior is looking great!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great pictures and nice job. I have the same problem W my Caballero. Did you ever consider fiberglass for the floor? I have new carpet but I don't know how to weld.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Great pictures and nice job. I have the same problem W my Caballero. Did you ever consider fiberglass for the floor? I have new carpet but I don't know how to weld.
If you aren't able to weld you could probably take your Caballero to a body shop after you've removed all the carpet, sound deadening, and passenger seat and have the pan welded up correctly relatively inexpensively.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ElectriCal contractor by trade. Wired 2 mechanic, body shops and made the owners my friends. Summer in NJ, that’s why it’s here. 2 summers and going back this fall. Just picked up my fiberglass cap they painted.
Tom
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you aren't able to weld you could probably take your Caballero to a body shop after you've removed all the carpet, sound deadening, and passenger seat and have the pan welded up correctly relatively inexpensively.
He had 4hrs in it. That was cutting, welding, and sealing and painting underneath. I painted the inside. I did buy the front and rear pans. The passenger side was stripped when I took it.
Tom

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,561 Posts
Very nice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts