El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My side floor pans keep taking on water. Whenever it rains or I drive in wet conditions, the floor and rear pan of the passenger side get soaked. I've checked underneath. No hole(s). The rear pan has been reskined with a new steel pan. That is completely sealed. I also ran a bead of silicone around the heater box assembly where a gap emerged. But I still take on water. It is really starting to stink and the carpet is gonna take much more before it's ruined. So if anyone has insight on this le me know.
Happy Trails

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
You might try sitting inside and have friend use a water hose and spray all around while you try and figure out where its coming from. Only thing I can think of.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
heater box is a common culpret, but if you've ruled it out, you may also have a leaking windshield seal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same problem. There is a seam between the firewall and heater control box, under the screen, that I had to reseal with some RTV. It solved my water in the car problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a similar problem that seemed to only show up in the rain. It was the windshield leaking at the top corner on the passenger side, running down the windshield post inside the kick panel and out into the carpet. Remove the windshield moulding, check very carefully and reseal the edge of the glass where it meets the butyl rubber that the glass is glued in with. Only use a little bit of sealant on the end of your finger. After it sets, replace the mouldings and you're good to go. Also, wet vac the carpet, let a fan blow on it for a couple of days to really dry it out and if that doesn't get rid of the smell, put a box of baking soda under the seat with the side cut open to get rid of the smell. You can also liberally sprinkle the baking soda on the carpet and leave it for a few days and then vacuum it up to get rid of the odor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Hey thanks guys. I have a betteridea where to look now. I'm going out today and see if I can't fix it. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Thanx again, and Happy Cruzzin'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the solutions!!

I took the Elky out with a friend on Sunday and used the hose test. The first hole was at the seam where 3 bed panels met at the front of my smuglers box. Which water ran in like a faucet from. And the other came from under the heater box. Both where as you guys mentioned!! So now there is a tube of GM seam Sealer coming from Eastwood. It should have me as dry as the arizona elky's! Thanks again for ya'lls help, Happy Trails

1 - 7 of 7 Posts