El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I am about to buy an 82 El Camino to restore with my dad but it needs a new paint job. I read that professionally done it can cost up to $8,000. How much to just do it ourselves? What would we need to do it ourselves?
Thanks!
- Luke
Depends on what kind of paint hour using as well as overall appearance, show or home? I painted this myself using Duplicolor lacquer paints. All lacquers can be mixed to make your own color And can be mixed with the clear coats as well. No thinner, no hardener or fisheye remover needed. Prep and spray and can be recoated within minutes and is basically dry to the touch in an hour Depending on temp and humidity.

its a great system and what’s even better is that it’s actually affordable. I have less than 500 bucks in this paint job.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with what Misty Meaner 69 SS396 said.
fix what you can first, I've seen guys tear up their cars and start a full restoration and they never finish or end up giving up on the car.
Try also to enjoy it, while you can, if it drives, drive it around even if it doesn't look like you want it right now. You'll be glad that you did in the future, because you will appreciate every change you did during the process. Don't forget to take lots of pictures with it. In the end when it's all done you'll be glad you did, and of course you can share those memories with your kids, family and friends. what you're planning on doing with your dad is awesome Luke.
Take care and remember to always have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I am about to buy an 82 El Camino to restore with my dad but it needs a new paint job. I read that professionally done it can cost up to $8,000. How much to just do it ourselves? What would we need to do it ourselves?
Thanks!
- Luke
Hi and welcome from So Cal ! Good luck on the paint.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Depends on what kind of paint hour using as well as overall appearance, show or home? I painted this myself using Duplicolor lacquer paints. All lacquers can be mixed to make your own color And can be mixed with the clear coats as well. No thinner, no hardener or fisheye remover needed. Prep and spray and can be recoated within minutes and is basically dry to the touch in an hour Depending on temp and humidity.
its a great system and what’s even better is that it’s actually affordable. I have less than 500 bucks in this paint job.
nice! if I drive mine to Michigan for vacation will you paint it for me? :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks!
- Luke
Luke, I purchased a 1982 Caballero three years ago. The body is in great shape with no rust, inside or out. There are some rough areas in the previous paint job a previous owner had done that will required some sanding and light Bondo work. The previous paint is a very durable paint so I am sanding it entirely to roughen the surface to accept priming and painting.

I am not looking for a show quality paint job, just a paint job that will look good. Having said this, I bought my primer and paint from Summit Racing. I have about $300 in the p&p, and will probably spend another $300 or so on prep supplies. I already have a HVLP paint gun and an air compressor that I use for other projects, so no outlay there. Like you, I found that paying someone else would blow my budget to smithereens. It has been awhile since I painted a vehicle, but figure it is worth the try. Worse that could happen is sand it and shoot it again. By the way, I am going back with just one color overall and putting the chrome trim back on. I hope you give it a try and good luck with your project.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts