El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just went to check all my vacuum lines to see if any are bad. While they all seem fine I did notice oil in the lines running from the pcv valve to both the carb and the canister control valve. Any ideas on what could cause this? And would that be why I am burning oil? It runs perfect, no rough idle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Shadow Elky , replace that PVC valve and check and see if your valve cover vents are dirty ... your engine has to have some type of venting for any pressure that build up in the crank case ... and yes sucking in that oil thru the vacume hose thru the carb will end up being burned and gettin your engine all crudded up inside ... Thanks the Geezer:nanawrench:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a brand new valve

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
852 Posts
alot of times, Blow-by will cause oil to accumulate in the pcv lines. when motors get alot of miles on them and the rings leak a bit of compression, theyll let that compression leak into the crank case pulling oil vapor and small particles of oil with it. they accumulate there. Same for breathers on rocker covers.

mine have always done that since i rebuilt the engine, but it also has chrome moly rings, and thats sort of expected lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
do you have stock valve covers or aftermarket ? some aftermarket cheapo valve covers dont have the baffle to stop the pcv from sucking oil out of the valve cover. if you have stock ,as mentioned above probably a worn motor with a lot of blowby.the 400 that came out of my elco was so worn it filled the pcv and air filter with oil in 1500 miles and still ran great and idled smooth as glass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts