El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use these guys, yay or nay? Seems pretty good on stuff, looks domestic to me. So how do you grade a good spring vs a bad spring. Iin other words (apart from cheapo crap), how can you tell if one set of springs is worth $100-150 more? $250 for a set of lowering springs, free shipping and made in USA.

http://www.p-s-t.com/

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Again, depending on what you want to do, you need to choose a coil spring rate and anti-roll bar diameter combination to suit your requirements. As Mike Snyder very appropriately said in his autocrossing article, you need to spring the car based on the type of surface and the speed range you will be running. Front spring rates for our cars can vary from 440 lbs./in. (stock) to 720 lbs./in., depending on the application; while rear spring rates vary from 126lbs/in. to 215lbs/in. Most people believe that a coil spring, is a coil spring, is a coil spring. Nothing could be further from the truth and all springs are certainly not created equal. Some things to find out when inquiring about springs are:
  1. Are the springs cold-wound or hot-wound? If they are hot-wound (and your wire diameter is not ~.700" or larger) then find another spring. Hot winding ruins the heat treatment of the wire, reduces the fatigue life a bit and also produces less consistent springs.
  2. What wire material are the springs wound from? You are looking for either chrome vanadium or chrome silicon. Preferably, chrome silicon.
  3. Are the springs stress relieved after winding? This is an easy procedure and is done by most companies so as to almost be assumed. But you wouldn't want to assume now would you??? ;-)
  4. Are the springs shot-peened AFTER winding? As, most engine savvy people know, this done to rod beams to increase the compressive stress at the surface of the metal. Well, the same is true for springs. Shot-peening is also one of those procedures that is done more often improperly than properly, so make sure to stay with a reputable manufacturer or an aircraft peening operation if you try to have this done yourself.
  5. Are the springs pre-set after winding? Pre-setting springs is a process whereby the spring is smoothly compressed from both ends until it stacks solid. It is then held at that position for a predetermined amount of time and then released to free length again. Pre-setting is an invaluable process used to combat what is commonly known as "spring sag" or the springs taking a set.
  6. Are the springs epoxy powder coated? This finish protects the spring from nicks which could cause stress fractures. It also makes the springs look pretty trick as well and you car definitely get bragging rights at the local shindig ;-). Also DO NOT, under any circumstances buy springs that have been chrome plated as this causes hydrogen embrittlement of the spring wire and will most assuredly cause the spring to fail while you are in the middle of your annual trek across the Rockies. As far as I know, no company has been selling chrome plated springs for a LONG time, but it's always better to know about these potentially life threatening things beforehand.
Many members who like the stock replacement springs have had good luck with Moog, TRW and H&R. Some autocrossing members are using Suspension Techniques springs as well. My personal experience has been with Eibach, H&R and Hypercoil. Eibach makes two different sets of springs for the G-body; a performance handling kit and a drag racing kit. The performance kit is part #3803.40. H&R also makes two different spring kits but both are performance/lowering oriented. Hypercoils are widely recognized as the world leading springs at the upper echelon of racing (F1, Indycar, Trans-Am, NASCAR etc.). Hypercoils are also only custom made and you have to do quite a bit of homework before you can get them (since you have to provide them with exact suspension measurements and desired rate at ride height).

Doug

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, thanks for that. I've not seen any info like this offered though for any spring makers. At least not the ones I've looked at, unless I'm missing the fine print.

Again, depending on what you want to do, you need to choose a coil spring rate and anti-roll bar diameter combination to suit your requirements. As Mike Snyder very appropriately said in his autocrossing article, you need to spring the car based on the type of surface and the speed range you will be running. Front spring rates for our cars can vary from 440 lbs./in. (stock) to 720 lbs./in., depending on the application; while rear spring rates vary from 126lbs/in. to 215lbs/in. Most people believe that a coil spring, is a coil spring, is a coil spring. Nothing could be further from the truth and all springs are certainly not created equal. Some things to find out when inquiring about springs are:
  1. Are the springs cold-wound or hot-wound? If they are hot-wound (and your wire diameter is not ~.700" or larger) then find another spring. Hot winding ruins the heat treatment of the wire, reduces the fatigue life a bit and also produces less consistent springs.
  2. What wire material are the springs wound from? You are looking for either chrome vanadium or chrome silicon. Preferably, chrome silicon.
  3. Are the springs stress relieved after winding? This is an easy procedure and is done by most companies so as to almost be assumed. But you wouldn't want to assume now would you??? ;-)
  4. Are the springs shot-peened AFTER winding? As, most engine savvy people know, this done to rod beams to increase the compressive stress at the surface of the metal. Well, the same is true for springs. Shot-peening is also one of those procedures that is done more often improperly than properly, so make sure to stay with a reputable manufacturer or an aircraft peening operation if you try to have this done yourself.
  5. Are the springs pre-set after winding? Pre-setting springs is a process whereby the spring is smoothly compressed from both ends until it stacks solid. It is then held at that position for a predetermined amount of time and then released to free length again. Pre-setting is an invaluable process used to combat what is commonly known as "spring sag" or the springs taking a set.
  6. Are the springs epoxy powder coated? This finish protects the spring from nicks which could cause stress fractures. It also makes the springs look pretty trick as well and you car definitely get bragging rights at the local shindig ;-). Also DO NOT, under any circumstances buy springs that have been chrome plated as this causes hydrogen embrittlement of the spring wire and will most assuredly cause the spring to fail while you are in the middle of your annual trek across the Rockies. As far as I know, no company has been selling chrome plated springs for a LONG time, but it's always better to know about these potentially life threatening things beforehand.
Many members who like the stock replacement springs have had good luck with Moog, TRW and H&R. Some autocrossing members are using Suspension Techniques springs as well. My personal experience has been with Eibach, H&R and Hypercoil. Eibach makes two different sets of springs for the G-body; a performance handling kit and a drag racing kit. The performance kit is part #3803.40. H&R also makes two different spring kits but both are performance/lowering oriented. Hypercoils are widely recognized as the world leading springs at the upper echelon of racing (F1, Indycar, Trans-Am, NASCAR etc.). Hypercoils are also only custom made and you have to do quite a bit of homework before you can get them (since you have to provide them with exact suspension measurements and desired rate at ride height).

Doug

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Nick,
Yeah, lots of information! I had to laugh at myself for not know about 90% of what was being talked about. IMO, you don't need all that info for a daily driver (LOL), I posted it for the shock and awe of it!!!

Doug

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had my suspension rebuilt with all PST parts www.p-s-t.com almost ten years ago. Front and rear springs,sway bar,polygraphite bushings and all new steering components. The results were beyond my expectations and a good company to deal with.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my suspension rebuilt with all PST parts www.p-s-t.com almost ten years ago. Front and rear springs,sway bar,polygraphite bushings and all new steering components. The results were beyond my expectations and a good company to deal with.
Cool, glad to hear from someone with firsthand experience, you don't work for them do you?

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
long time leader and good stufffffff!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'M right along with Camino80, rebuilt my front end with their full kit and couldn't believe the difference.
4 months ago i rebuilt the rearend with their stuff and added in the bags from another company and i love it, getting rid of the factory style air shocks was better than i ever thought it would be.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Cool, glad to hear from someone with firsthand experience, you don't work for them do you?[/QUOTE

No, don't work for them. I read an article in Hot Rod back then about a front suspension rebuild and results on a 4th or 3rd generation ElCamino. I just followed their build. It also included Edelbrock IAS shocks all around. A couple years later after reading here on ECC about the Air Lift rear bags those were added. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have a box full of bushings/steering components I got when I bought the Elky. Had to many other problems to even think about getting them installed. Now, it's just about time. All PTS parts.

·
Deputy Director Region 9 (MI-IN-KY)
293 Posts
I've been dealing with them since '96, and have never had a problem. I've not needed to buy any springs though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love them guys at PST. all bushings on car are from them did it back in 06 and still look new. they sqeak everynow and agin. but they make a huge difference in handling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts