El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would just use the stock points distributor with a good set of Accel points and copper core wires. There was never anything wrong with the points system except it couldn't stay in tune for 50,000 as per the new 1975 EPA rules. That's why they switched to HEI..

You can get a real good dwell meter for a few bucks today.

When I switched my Pontiac back to the stock points set up from MSD and it ran better and started much faster! I enjoy keeping the dwell in check with my dwell meter.

There is as much marketing hype (BS) around ignitions as oil..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have a Procomp distributor on my 86 EC SS 305 , it is a HEI with vacuum advance . The module went bad the first year & I had to have it towed home . Also the wiring inside the distributor came apart in the junction box . I made repairs myself & other than those 2 problems it runs good . But I don't recommend buying one . I've had it 9 years now with no more problems .

·
Registered
388 Posts
I installed one in a buddy's 70 Corvette a few years ago. He has had ZERO problems with it. I think it was about 5 years ago. Always starts easy and runs good. If I remember correctly is was the second series.

Regards Brian

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Pertonix billet distributor and coil in my 64.
So far, it has given me no problems.
I also have a Pertonix Ignitor II in the original distributor in my 67 Cougar with a matching Pertronix coil.
Runs like a spotted-*****ed ape!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I spoke with their tech support several years ago about the ignition system in my Willys. I had replaced it several times after failure and it was time to change. They were very supportive and recommended a system that would fit and provide the performance I needed.

About the time I was going to do this I got an offer I couldn’t refuse so I sold the car.

Ultimately I say you can’t go wrong with their equipment. Only buy what you need. A new HEI style will be fine for street. If you insist on high revs then maybe something a big more advanced would be ok.

I look at Streetrods as just how many times are you going to rev beyond 6000 rpm? Even 5000. Then for how long? Tires are expensive.....tickets are even more so and now someone else gets to waste your money.....

So durability and reliability become the issue required.

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just read the above suggested thread on the other forum. I think this post over there sums it up.
"There has been quite a few threads here before about whether or not to run a resistor on Pertronix setups. After reading all that stuff over the years I lean to the side of running one, whether required, suggested, or NOT.

Points always have worked OK for me, but running a resistor is a must with them too. The problems I've have with them is the darn condenser can cause all kinds of weird problems sometimes, and usually with zero notice it's coming. And the Echlin 'gold' points was always my favorite, but they wear really fast. Breaking out the dwell meter all the time gets pretty old.

I don't have much experience with MSD, but it's my opinion that a good spark makes for a good running engine, whether with a multiple spark discharge or not. Seems pretty useless and expensive in a good engine."

As I said before I haven't had any problems with the one I installed. I have more than my share of issues with MSD products. Just my opinion for what ever it is worth.

Regards Brian

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed one in a buddy's 70 Corvette a few years ago. He has had ZERO problems with it. I think it was about 5 years ago. Always starts easy and runs good. If I remember correctly is was the second series.

Regards Brian
What do you mean by ''second series''Brian:?: Thanks,Bill.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pertronix has three versions of their system.
The original Pertronix Ignitor module, the Ignitor II and the Ignitor III.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why go from HEI?

I think the question should by why? Are you going to be revving to 8K or something? I had VW's before and they had a Pertronix kit to switch over the standard distributor from points to Magnetic pickup. Or like and HEI. Did not feel huge difference just consistent starting and less work.

If you think you are going gain 20hp that will not be the case. I would just stay with the HEI. Put your money elsewhere to make HP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts