El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
If you already have electronic ignition there's no reason to install Pertronix. You'll not end up with some 'super' ignition. I've installed Pertronix in 4 of my buddies cars to replace the points ignition and for that it's a good product...you'll never adjust dwell or timing again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pertronix is great I have them in both my jeeps (53 M38A1 & 70 V6), as well as 67 Chevelle & 47 Olds. You must be looking for the stock look.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The best ignition I ever had, racing and street was a stock single point distributor controlling a MSD6AL... That set up never missed a beat and was so easy to tune and troubleshoot...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey, Elky Bill, what was your final decision on the distributor??
I saw the post that said you were looking for the stock look.
My Pertronix distributor looks like a stock distributor except for the billet aluminum body, but with the black cap and 7 mm wires, it looks really pretty stock.
I like red, but not for a distributor cap!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I've run Pertronix for years with out issues. The blaster coils come in two versions, with and without resistor. If you car had a resistor or resistance wire with your points setup, and then you add the Pertronox with a resistor coil, you're going to have problems. Also, setting the reluctor and pickup coil gap can be tricky, but that's what that little clear piece of plastic in the box is for.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts