El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hadn't really planned on it... but I just bought a 200r4 out of a 87 Monte.

I have been thinking about converting from a 200 Metric to the 200r4. I found one on Craigslist and guess what... it was literally 5 blocks away from me!!!!

Clean, nice shape. The fluid is nice and red. No bad smells. For $150 I thought I'd give it a shot.

So... a tranny conversion is in my future! Yeah!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slap!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I hope it wasent a hard slap, Michael as that was not the intent. Getting it wrong on this trans is quite common.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well what do expect when one 4 speed auto tranny is called 700-R4 and the other is 200-4R? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Great score though, Michael. This will be a great improvement to your driveline and you cant beat the price. I'm not sure of the swap differences like driveshaft length, TQ lockup, trans mount, etc.. Perhaps someone will chime in that knows. T-Mike?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Canted... Your hand print is fading, so not too hard (lol).

I was considering this swap over a year ago... and my research said that the overall length (compared to my 200 metric) is the same. If that is not the case, someone PLEASE chime in!

I'm hoping for a few insights into refreshing this thing before installation.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I paid same price for my 2004R, and it was REAL clean inside too. After talking with TrannyMike on here, got a shift kit from Superior Trans Parts (from a local supplier, paid $47.00 for the whole kit), but put in new gaskets/seals while I was in there. Did that myself. Really wasn't hard, just have to pay attention to the details. I did mine on my 2nd floor porch/balcony.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y342/goofuslives/trans/

I had decided to put in a double hump trans Xmember while I was at it. I found out that early-mid 90s Crown Victoria Xmembers are practically a bolt in. May need to trim the width of them just a bit. So I paid $6.00 for one at the recycling yard and cleaned it up.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y342/goofuslives/Xmember%20update/

When I was trial fitting the new Xmember, I realized that I would have to put a hump in the drivers side floor to clear the hump in the Xmember on that side, so figured out how to do that. Took about 15 minutes and didn't cost anything. (the 1st eight pics in this link)

http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y342/goofuslives/got a lot done Tuesday/

all the pics have captions, so they are pretty self-explanatory.

:poke:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Keyser,

Thanks for the reply. It will be a little while before I can tear into the unit, so my questions will be a bit delayed. I really like your drainage technique and your jack support usage. I'm definitely going to use that!

Thanks again... and stay tuned...

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
If you got one from a monteSS it will have better pressures and a firmer shift. If it has to be rebuilt you should wind up that way anyhow. You will have to add the wiring harness to bring 12 volt back to it for the lockup.

:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
It is the same transmission that was used in the Hurst Oldsmobiles with a Lightning Rod Shifter! It will hold up!

:beer:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Long time no post!

I've been doing some controlled surgery (hopefully not butchery) of the tranny, and I've been taking pictures!

My photo album of the rebuild

Please take a look and leave comments here for the posterity of the forum. Cheers!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Keyser, I'd noticed that thread. While I understand the Dexron free beauty of TrannyMike's post for its entirely external installation, I actually prefer the no muss no fuss operation of the stock application. I'm not a fan add-on switches to my interior that you have to either remember to turn ON (and more importantly in this case OFF) or relay to other people if they borrow the cruck. My goal is going to be a stock lock up that engages automatically when appropriate and is disengaged via the brake switch. With everything opened up I can put the system in the right way.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Keyser!

I just wanted you to know that I used your method of draining the transmission by turning it tail shaft down for about a week. Very very very little fluid left inside after this. I had it suspended over an old drywall compound bucket to drain.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HELP! NEED A 200-4R PART!!!!!

Work has been progressing nicely on my 200-4r rebuild. I have removed/replaced all rubber seals, all rotational bearing (called bushings), replaced all torrington bearings. I'm currently waiting for a new set of steels/frictions and thrust washers to arrive.

HOWEVER... While disassembling the input shaft, the small cir-clip that holds the planetary gear assembly on the end of the shaft in place went "PINNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG!" and flew away to some new and invisible dimension. Gone.

Does anyone know where replacements can be purchased? I'm currently searching ACDelco.com, but if anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts