El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

here yua go fellas :D wutcha guys think? was it worth the 700 i paid?

the 455 is cammed,heads look fresh,blocks been painted i think its been rebuilt,dont really know though.some of the pics it looks dented,the only actual ding/dent in the body is in the drivers side 1/4 panel and its quarter sized :oops:

so bring on the opinions,good or bad lets hear it!

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
One of 5,436. Looks like a steal to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope,no rust anywhere,ive been over the whole car,here in oregon rust isnt really an issue.

it handles OK,this is the first elky ive ever driven,so to me its normal! 8O

im used to driving 3rd gen transam's which handle like there on rails.

im pretty impressed with the way it drives and handles so far,its not that bad,it stops pretty good,has brand new brakes all around

it has 12 inch rotors up front? is this stock?

you can steer the thing with your right foot :-D with the 3.73 posi and the tq from that 455,its quite fun

one question,is the bolt pattern 5 on 4 3/4?

·
Registered
105 Posts
On your bolt pattern question - if it's still stock it would be 5 on 4.75. Offhand I don't know what the backspacing for the stock wheels was.

QUALIFIER - I say 'if it's still stock' because you say it has 12" rotors. I could be wrong, but I thought that all the factory rotors on 4th gen were either 10.5" or 11". 12" rotors were on GM heavy-duty vehicles in the late 70's (cab, police, etc.), but they used a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

So, if you really have 12" rotors somebody's probably been at work under there. You can go to 12" rotors through a number of different routes, some of which leave you at 5 on 4.75 and some of which leave you at 5 on 5. If you still have stock drums in back then whoever did the work probably did the right thing and left you at 5 on 4.75 so all 4 corners match, but...

I would measure to be sure. This page http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/46431/article.html is one of several that describes how.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Out of the 73~77 Stock Elkys I've seen most had 11" Rotors. I know that 73 -75 had the Big Block LS4 454 optional. It is possible that the big blocks came with 12" as an option.

All that said, Damn that is a nice truck for 700! :-D If it has no real rust issues to speak of it is a great deal. It should handle with only one finger. They were made for creature comfort, speed was out even with the Big Blocks. Most came with highway gears.

I'm not sure just what the VIN would be for a Big Block option but the VIN would be about the only way to check to see what you had in the beginning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts