El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the little bolt that holds the main pin in the middle of the gears is broken. Part of the bolt comes out, the threaded part but I'm not sure if its all the threads or not n I would like to get it out! I would just drill it out but its in a tight spot. I don't want to replace the rearend again. Yes I swaped this one in their knowing it was busted but I had no choice at the time. The one I pulled out was much worse n not worth saving plus I only paid 40 bucks n I got the reared a crossmember made for duals wit new poly brushing n a crome diff cap.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The quick and best fix is to pull the ring gear member and try to get it out, it is a hardened bolt so drilling it out will be fun,, or find another 3rd member and swap it out,, Matty man

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny that that has never occurred to me but now that u mention it it sound so simple. How do I get I out wit the axles still in place. Haven't really done that before but I'm sure if I look at it I could figure it out.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
There's only one way to get it out now.

1. get a hardened steel driver of some sort, place one end against the end of the shaft that goes between the axles, on the end nearest where the bolt goes thru it.

2. grab the biggest hammer you can find.

3. wail away with the hammer until you drive the shaft on out, or until your arm falls off, whichever comes first.

Take my word for it, this is the only known way to do this. It's the way dealer mechanics did it, and it's the way you'll have to do it. An air hammer will NOT work, unless you use the model intended to break up concrete.

:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Well ya know black,, you are right,, I do aplogize,, I completely forgot about the damn axles being in the way,, a senior moment,, if you aint to far from central Ohio I have 2 monte SS 3.73 open rear ends for sale,, sorry about the incorrect advice,,, doh!!!!!! matty man

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really would like a 3.42 limited slip posi n yes I am far from u st. Paul MN. I'm not sure I have the budget 4 one right now anyway way too many things goin on wit the elky to think about one right now.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i run into this all of the time .i use a small awl to try to unscrew the remainder of the pin out. if you dont beat the end of it up it will usually come out without much drama. if you try beating on the main pin you will end up breaking the carrier.you cant get the carrier out until you get the pin and axle clips out so its an under car deal.if you cant get it to unscrew you will need to get a couple diamond cutting discs for a dremmel and cut through the big pin in line with the small pin then remove it that way by unscrewing the bolt by its shaft with needle nose pliers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts