El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moly Vs Cast Iron
I had bought Moly Rings for my rebuild. there not to cheap 50$ full set ,compared to the cast Iron @ 20$...

The shop who honed the block and dipped the pistons said my best bet would be the Cast. Because theyll sit better.. but if there so good.. why so cheap?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
In a nut shell,chrome rings take a while too seat in ,cast rings seat in fast and don't require the longer (take it easy) break in time . for me the cast rings have always done well ! you will get 100 different answers,but as always mine is correct ! :poke: :secret:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill quote you on that (fix it man)... it just burns that i bought the moly rings MONTHS ago without knowing what i was really getting.. it wouldnt hurt i guess to digg a deeper hole and just keep buying parts that im sure ill use on a project someday.. _sighs_

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Since you already have the moly rings - use them. They take a little longer to seat but will also last longer.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
Run the moly rings, unless you are building a serious drag motor they are more than sufficient. Chrome plated compression rings are the most durable and intended for harsh high load motors. Moly faced rings resist scuffing, reduce drag, seat fast and are damned near as durable as the chrome ones

Simple cast iron rings are cheap low cost replacement parts, nothing really wrong with them but hardly the first choice in my opinion.

As far as seating rings go, if the cylinders are honed properly for the rings chosen, they will be seated probably before the cam is fully broken in.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
When I was a teenager, I put moly rings in an engine with less than 70'000 miles on it as a refresh job. You know, the kind of project you do as a kid whether you need it or not. Engine still had factory cylinder hone marks showing, I honed a hint more, gapped correctly.engine ran great the next 8 years I had it, but always had a hint of smoke/oil use. Was told by others that moly or chrome rings were best for rebores.

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
IIRC, the final honing process depends on the rings chosen. Moly rings require a specific tolerance that is different from standard rings. If the block is already honed for standard rings- may be why the shop is recommending them:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
IIRC, the final honing process depends on the rings chosen. Moly rings require a specific tolerance that is different from standard rings. If the block is already honed for standard rings- may be why the shop is recommending them:dontknow:
yes the crosshatch is different on different styles of rings, let your builder know your intentions of use, drag, daily bruiser, cruiser ect ect, also if you plan to run a boosted motor or nos its a whole different story on end gaps and such, ask me how i know:poke:i prefer moly but what do i know, i run a wore out truck motor:secret:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts