El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to purchase new piston ring set for my 84' SS. Where is a good place to buy them? What size are the rings on a 305 CID.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Northern Auto is a good place, the size will depend on the bore, STD,,.010, .030 ect,, the ring sizes, 5/32, 1/16 are all common on stock pistons,, is the motor out yet so you can check the taper in the bores to see if you can just hone the block or rebore it? Matty man

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
they'll all fit real nice, unless you get "file your own gap" rings. Main diff in material they're made of is the amount of time it takes to break them in/seat them.

:poke:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Going to purchase new piston ring set for my 84' SS. Where is a good place to buy them? What size are the rings on a 305 CID.
I've always liked purchasing from Summit Racing or Jegs Performance.

If you don't know what size rings you need, then you really need to look at your current pistons and rings to get the correct sizes. Why are you replacing rings, did you hone or bore your block?
If you bored it, then you will need larger rings depending on how much it was bored.

Rings come in all different sizes, shapes and kinds. You want to make sure you purchase the correct rings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts