El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up an 800 series quick ratio power steering gear box to replace my leaking 605 box. I know that the input shaft on the new box will require a different pitman arm but when i went to the junk yards to find one I could not find a match . The closest I could get was off a 79 monte carlo with the 800 box but its about 1/2 inch longer than my original pitman arm. The geometry seems to be the same but its slightly longer. My question is can i use this pitman arm? Will I need to get a matching idler arm thats 1/2 inch longer than my stock one? Will this change my steering or hurt anything by moving the center link back 1/2 inch? I was so looking forward to an easy swap but this process keeps getting more difficult ( and expensive) the more i get into it. While I am asking... are there any special procedures to press the idler arm onto the drag link properly?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
The center link runs so close the the cross member that I don't think there will be enough room to go with a longer pitman/idler.
Monte SS, cutlass 442, Buick T type/GN pitman should fit.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,572 Posts
Are you sure the pittman arm doesn't fit ? I swapped a quick ratio box from an '86 Regal T-type into my '87 Camino. I left both arms attached to the center link and pulled them off the sector shaft. Both interchanged easily.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts