El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im planning on building a new performance engine for my elky out of a 350 block. i havent quite decided how big to make the block. i was gonna go with a 383 and aim for around 450 hp. But i have discovered that i can build a 396 out of the same block. and now my blueprinting is all gone haywire as i haven't decided what to do any more.

aside from gas mileage which i assume the 383 would get better of. can ya'll help me decide which way to go

G

·
Hey guys, im planning on building a new performance engine for my elky out of a 350 block. i havent quite decided how big to make the block. i was gonna go with a 383 and aim for around 450 hp. But i have discovered that i can build a 396 out of the same block. and now my blueprinting is all gone haywire as i haven't decided what to do any more.

aside from gas mileage which i assume the 383 would get better of. can ya'll help me decide which way to go
I don't think you can make a 396 from a 350 block. The biggest you'd wanna go is 388. The 383 is a perfect and wiser choice....

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did some research and i can make a 350 into a 396. it takes a stroke of 3.875in and bored .030 over. it really turns out to be around 395.6 but rounded up to 396. it takes custom bottom end parts though but the cost is the same as the 383 which is why i'm asking. actually i could go even bigger to a 428 but thats just getting crazy with the custom stuff. with a 4" stroke, and bored .125" over

G

·
i did some research and i can make a 350 into a 396. it takes a stroke of 3.875in and bored .030 over. it really turns out to be around 395.6 but rounded up to 396. it takes custom bottom end parts though but the cost is the same as the 383 which is why i'm asking. actually i could go even bigger to a 428 but thats just getting crazy with the custom stuff. with a 4" stroke, and bored .125" over
Remember,bigger is not always better. A motor that's bored out too much has very thin cylinder walls. That means it cant be ran hard for long periods of time because that can cause overheating/cooling issues. I'd stay in the 383 to 388 range,but that's just my

· Registered
4,823 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the base block i have is a goodwrench crate motor block that i bought from a guy on craigslist. i'm taking it to the machine shop next week to have it checked for cracks, and maybe bored/clearanced if i can decide how big to go.

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Anything bigger than a 383 will cause additional clearance problems with the oil pan rail, connecting rod bolts with the cylinder bottoms and cam lobes, requiring a reduced circle cam etc. etc. Talk to your machineist about the additional cost involved with going bigger. Personally I've built several 383's in the 450 to 550 hp range with about 500 lb/ft of torque. anything more and you are leaving to realm of driver and entering the "race car"options. 500 hp can get you some low 11 or high 10 second passes at the strip with a streetable chassis and a lot quicker with a race chassis....So the question becomes "How fast do you want to go"?.....Dan

· Registered
527 Posts
I'm sure you already know this but make sure your Goodwrench crate motor block wasn't "Made in Mexico". It will be cast on the block if it was. These blocks are made with inferior cast iron and aren't recommended for high performance applications.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like the 383 is the way to go. im having the engine taken to the machine shop this week. to have it checked over for cracks, cleaned up, magnafluxed. bored .30 over, clearanced for a 383 crank. and when thats all done ima put it on an engine stand with a big bag over it, oiled up so it dont rust and store it in garage for awhile until i get all the body work done.

thanks for helpen me make the decision.
any suggestions on how i can get around 9.5 compression so i can use regular/mid grade gas? like what pistons should i use?

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i beefed up my rear end with strong parts, and put a shift kit in the trans. And have a spare trans to rebuild stronger if needed as well.

i does have a heavy foot.... but i can lighten it .... usually :twisted: i do like to hear them squeel tho

Also im thinking about putting NO2 in.

As they say if it worth doing its worth overdoing :beer:

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was going to pick up one of the rotating assembly kits from summit for around $1400+ with the h-beam rods made of forged steal, and forged steal crank and forged aluminum pistons. Only the best materials will be put into my new motor.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.