El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In prepping for the return trip from the 60th in Texas to Florida, I want to get the most info I can for sights, places to shoot a picture ( for a future calendar?), food, and hotels along US 84. They can be good or bad recommendations.

This about a 700 mile section from I-35 east to I-65. Looking at a map, it could be a 2 lane and 4 lane road crossing small towns, rivers, and ?? sights of interest. I am going to throw the info together for whoever wants to caravan or go at their own pace. Hotels as a group would be nice. but everyone needs to decide what they want to see and what to skip. It crosses 3 interstates so that helps lodging and at least a fast food. I would like other food options anyway along it especially. Who doesn't like a good BBQ?

Google maps gave me this info:
FROM ARLINGTON (no address)

95 miles 1 hr. 30 min. Take I-35 south to US84, around Bellmead TX

TAKE US 84 east

220 miles 4 hr. Bellmead TX to Mansfield LA- crosses I-49

234 miles 4 hr. Mansfield LA to Brookhaven MS- crosses I-55

84 miles 1 hr. 25 min. Brookhaven MS to Laurel LA- crosses I-59

143 miles 2 hr. 30 min. Laurel LA to Evergreen ALA- crosses I-65

I'm thinking of heading South on US 31 at that time into Florida, so that can be a different thread.

Thanks for ANY help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
84 will take you through 2 really nice towns on either side of Louisiana, Natchitoches and Natchez, MS. The former offers a cute downtown with a nice park overlooking the red river and the latter is an old cotton town with a cute downtown and some great spots on the Mississippi. Natchez is home to several good plantation homes and some pretty classy restaurants. Either city has plenty of good bed and breakfasts—some on this list have stayed in ones in Natchitoches for the annual elky event there.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I now can start some research. The Mississippi was on my list of stopping places.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it looks like Natchitoches LA is a good place to stop for the first night, about 6 hours from Arlington. When I Google mapped from Waco TX for time and miles, it gave me a different route to the south, minor time difference. That route went thru Sabine National Forest and it looked like two other National or State Forests. Anyone familiar with seems to be TX-21 and LA-6? Basically, this would be a Waco to Natchitoches drive.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
84 will take you through 2 really nice towns on either side of Louisiana, Natchitoches and Natchez, MS. The former offers a cute downtown with a nice park overlooking the red river and the latter is an old cotton town with a cute downtown and some great spots on the Mississippi. Natchez is home to several good plantation homes and some pretty classy restaurants. Either city has plenty of good bed and breakfasts—some on this list have stayed in ones in Natchitoches for the annual elky event there.

Like crice63 said - the 2 towns offer great views of rivers and the food is excellent in both - have breakfast in Natchitoches - that's where I met crice63 - the restaurant is right in the heart of the downtown area. When I worked on the river we would get off the boat to go into Natchez and it's old style southern charm with plantations that go way back - a bit of history. I think you should consider Dothan, Alabama because it's only 78 miles from the gulf of Mexico if your a fishing buff or the excellent golf course they have. Just my 2 cents.

Gene

1 - 7 of 7 Posts