El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many guys have there old licence plates repainted. Some say that alteratering a licence paint is illegal. Others say it is no big deal. Does anyone know the rule? If it is legal, does anyone know where to get the golden rod color used on the old California plates? I have a few from the 50's black letters on gold background and even one from the 40's which is the reverse.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
In NY the DMV says they can't be restored. Really makes no sense and many plates are restored. As long as the colors are correct I don't see why it should matter. The only time I see it being an issue is when the plates originally had a reflective background and then are just painted w/o it.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
" reflective background " There is clear spray paint that is reflective. Rust-O-leum makes some. I used it for the numbers on my house.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I painted mine. I'm not really worried about breaking this law when there are other ones way more fun to break!

Besides, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I painted mine. I'm not really worried about breaking this law when there are other ones way more fun to break!

Besides, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.

X2:beer:

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where did you find the correct color? I have looked for golden rod spray, no luck. I don't know if it is available through a hobby shop, but I would bet an auto paint store would want to sell it by the gallon when I only need a touch up jar. Any suggestion on the best outlet for a small jar the right color?

·
Registered
223 Posts
License plate paint

Hey there Fin,
The "golden rod" color you described, is what my letters and numbers are. The background is black. I rattle canned the background (easy), after taping the letters and numbers. The "golden rod" color was an exercise in trial and error attempts. I started with my model paints and used a yellow and began mixing until I had something that resembled the old 60s color.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
So where did you find the correct color? I have looked for golden rod spray, no luck. I don't know if it is available through a hobby shop, but I would bet an auto paint store would want to sell it by the gallon when I only need a touch up jar. Any suggestion on the best outlet for a small jar the right color?
Try Home Depot or Lowes, whatever you don't use you probably could share with someone else looking for the same color. They'll do a quart I think.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like to find a 1979 Texas plate that is resonable price. Colors are black and white I think :texas:

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Mr. Fin, I got reporduction plates of my orgional plates from "licensplates.tv" . The shop ordered them so I'm not sure if they were allowed to ship to CA.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys,

Thanks for all the advise. I will see what I can come up with at the hobby shop.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Check out a local body shop. Present it as a challenge. Mention that the plates are for display purposes only. *cough* *cough*

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
As a former PO in NJ I can say with certainty that it is not permitted. I reckon if it was done 00% perfectly you might get away with it, especially if you wear the " historic " Q Q plates. Here in Florida it seems like anything works.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
368 Posts
Mr. Fin, I got reproduction plates of my original plates from "licensplates.tv" . The shop ordered them so I'm not sure if they were allowed to ship to CA.
I've heard of licenseplates.tv.
Curiously, California now seems to be missing from their list of states served.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts