El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son's 64, 283,th350. Son came home and said stereo(we installed a few months ago) stopped working. He also said he has no brake lights. Here is where the trouble begins. The fuse that is the second from the bottom in the fuse block blows out constantly (there are no markings, but I think that is the rear light fuse, please advise). I can even smell buring when I put a fuse in there and it burns out. It has 12-13 volts at it all the time, even with ignition off. One of the stereo power wires was connected to the spade next to this fuse. Knowing to always go back to the last thing you changed, I started with thinking it's the stereo. Now I'm going to try to break this down, please try to follow this, I apologize in advance.
1. With amp wire connected to + batt term and both +/- batt term connected, 12plus volts at the second fuse from bottom on fuse block. Is this supposed to have constant power?
2. With - batt terminal disconnected, but the amp still connected to + batt term, there is 11plus volts at fuse panel still, AND with volt meter + to + batt and - to block where neg cable goes, there is 11plus volts! This is where I really got confused because the batt is not grounded at that point.
3. With - batt terminal disconnected and fuse removed from amp wire, no voltage beteween batt and block, and no V at fuse panel(as i think it should be).
4. With the amp wire completely removed from + term of batt, and both batt term connected, there is 13volts constantly at fuse block, second fuse from bottom.

I'm so confused now, I don't even understand the notes I took! Well, this is where I am. I don't know why those fuses keep blowing, I think that is the fuse for the brake/tail lights. His interior lights are not working either, but I think that fuse is ok. I don't know what's going on and need some help! I apologize again for rambling on. Where to start? What to do? Brake/tail lights are biggest concern, stereo can wait. To top it off I was checking my 66 to see if voltages were same, fuses, etc......and my brake and interior lights are now not working.........I will save that for another time, I need kids cruck on the road. Thank you in advance for ANY help!!!!!!:dontknow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe this thread can be to some help?
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338138
Anyway the best way to look for a short is to connect a light bulb between the connectors for the fuse that in that circuit. Use a 50/60 watt headligt bulb, those have flat connectors and are easy to connect wires to. When you have connected the bulb as a "replacement" for the fuse it will glow until the short is gone. Do you have a wiring diagram? If not you will find one here:http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990334158924.cgi?categoryid=9960407186279
You may have to register.

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Something like that happened to me a long time ago. Someone took my light that was over the plate and the bare wire touched the bumber and welded its self to the bumber. Don't do like I did and shorted the fuse and burnt all the wires under the dash. I like the idea of using the headlight!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
wire fires aint cool ...sounds like a direct to ground short without being able to see the truck cant tell what kind of crazy stuff someone did before you(fuzzy dog with eyes that light up when the brakes go on )i would check brake light switch for bare wire ....
with most of my older cars
1967 chevelle
1968 nomad wagon
1972 gmc sprint
i ran a dedicated junction block for the stereos. not that i run a bazillion watt system.IMO being 40+ years old, them wires have enough to do with what they were intended for.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Maybe this thread can be to some help?
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338138
Anyway the best way to look for a short is to connect a light bulb between the connectors for the fuse that in that circuit. Use a 50/60 watt headligt bulb, those have flat connectors and are easy to connect wires to. When you have connected the bulb as a "replacement" for the fuse it will glow until the short is gone. Do you have a wiring diagram? If not you will find one here:http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990334158924.cgi?categoryid=9960407186279
You may have to register.
The headlight is the best method, put wires on it long enough to get it out of the car, start un-hooking/wiggling stuff until the headlight goes out, and you found it.:texas:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I know it has to be a short, just didn't know how to find.it. now at least I have an idea. Hooking a light up to that fuse connection won't burn up wires/circuit? Also, does anyone have a pic of the labeling on fuse block?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The headlight will carry the load, keeping it from burning anything else. Use a hi-beam if you can, take the fuse out hook the 2 terminals one to each side where the fuse would be. Make the wires long enough to sit on the ground next to the car. Now start wiggling wires and unhooking stuff one at a time until the light does not burn, you found the short. :texas:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, I think I found it, used headlight, made it much easier than going back and forth with the tester to the fuse block. It seems to be the wires that go off the flat ribbon up to the interior light above rear window. I can't say for sure, but I disconnected it and it seems to be good to go. There are some othere issues, but those can wait for another thread. The headlight I used met it's demise, loosing a battle with the shop floor, but it served its purpose and died for the cause. Thank you all very much, you saved me a ton of $$ avoiding taking it in to shop! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
good to hear you found it and at the cost of just one light bulb and not at the expense of your truck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts