El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Venerated Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maroon fuel injected 1985 chevy el camino caught on fire today at about 3:30 pm and i have no clue why. a few days ago my brake lights went haywire so today me and my friend unplugged the old wiring harness from the plug that is behind the back of the back tire. and replaced it with another used one but the old harness had the hook up for the fuel pump to bring gas to the throttle body and the new one didn't so we took the plug off of the original one and put it on the new one.We also hooked in trailer lights. then we got it all back together we hooked a trailer to it to make sure everything worked right and everything worked fine. so we put it back under the carport at my house about halfway in the back was in and the front was out of the carport. So we go inside to get on the internet and in about 10 minutes i hear someone beating on my door. I go see who it is and its a rank stranger saying my el camino was on fire. i run call 911 and my buddy goes out and puts the fire out. the fire was on the passenger side front the computer under the hood was burned along with all of the wires. the back is perfect would would have made it catch on fire. It was not running when it caught on fire and the key was not on what made it catch on fire. And it got burnt pretty good it burned the fender the fender well the computer the wires,the hood my expensive pacer wheels wrapped in a bf goodrich tire. it warped the crap out of my hood cracked my windshield burned the heater box( it doesn't have A/C) so it got it pretty bad please help me.

thank you :(

·
Venerated Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a few pics of my burned elky now i guess i will start working on my 81 to put it on the road.

·
823 Posts
:oops: I'm sure I speak for all american car enthusiests, that our hearts bleed sincere sorrow for your loss!:shocked:

·
Venerated Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man i guess i will put my 81 back together and work on the 85 after i get my 81 done.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Steven,

Sorry about Your loss. Mine burned last July,so I know how You are feeling about now. Be aware... it's a gruesome task to put a burn car back together. Mine is great now, but only after many hours,days and weeks of sorting thru the mess.

I did collision work for over 20 years and never repaired a burn until I did my own. Now I know why. Issues came up that I never even considered.

I'm not trying to discourage You, but please assess the situation before jumping into doing the repairs. A donor car would be the best route to take. I didn't have that option. Believe me, the costs are staggering to buy individual parts.I have all my receipts, but will never add up what it costed.....way more than the car is worth. I'm OK with that, it's my hobby and obsession!

Good Luck on whatever You do. If You need anything, give me a shout.

Ron

·
Registered
690 Posts
What a shame! unfortunately you may never know what caused it. I have had to try and track down a few shorts in burnt wire harnesses and this is a tough thing to do. In your case I'm sure is worse, as all the insulation must be brunt completely off the harness. I suggest not worrying about the cause and just concentrate on putting things back together.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's a bummer.

If you decide to rebuild it I have a 86 FI Engine Wiring harness in good shape I'll sed to you for shipping chgs.

·
805 Posts
I have an '85 Elky also.
I have replaced my 305 with an older 383 and have removed all the smog stuff functionally.

THEREFORE:
I have computer, harnesses, smog stuff, etc., either off the car or coming off the car.

Let me know what you need and we can make some arrangements.

Glenn

·
Venerated Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the help guys I am going to rebuild the el camino but i am going to go probably a 350 that doesn't have any wiring. But if anyone has a heat box that is under the hood on the firewall i need one of those if you do reply and tell me about it.

thanks

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Wow, talk about rough days, I feel for ya bud. Good luck with the restoration. One day soon she'll look all shiney and new again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts