El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a '95 LT1 in my 1978 el camino. Both installations use a saginaw type steering gear. I cannot get rid of the cavitation. The facts are:

1. The hoses are run correctly.
2. The belt is run correctly.
3. The fluid is correct.
4. There was optional speed sensitive steering available for '95. I purchased a non-variable speed sensitive steering pump (there is no pressure solenoid on the pressure hose).
5, I have purchased two Cardone reman. power steering pumps, no difference in the problem.
6. I have vacuum bled the system. While bleeding the cavitation is worse.
7. If I squeeze the supply hose to the pump, the caviation goes away.

I cannot solve this problem. It seems unlikely that I got two defective reman pumps in a row.

Does ANYONE have an idea what the problem could be? I'm not really interested in doing another pump if that isn't the issue.

Thanks.

Craig

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have had several reman pumps do the same some times they just need to run a while to clear.did you use the b body ,camaro or corvette engine set up? the b body set up is like the camaro the pump is on the pass. side with long hoses.any air leak on the suction side will cause cavitation.some of the 78 s used the inverted flare lines at the box and all lt1 s use the ornig type.if this is the case with yours you may need to go to a newer year box.on the lt1 i always gravity bleed it first,fill the res then turn the bottle of fluid upside down on the res.then loosen the lines one at a time at the box and wait for the fluid to come clear then do the other line. then jack the car off of the ground start the engine and slowly turn the wheel left to right slowly stopping each time just short of lock to lock. turning it against either lock will cause ariation of the fluid.do this several times then just let it idle and dont rev it that just makes it worse.if you used the camaro or b body set up with its long hoses it will take a little time to clear all of the air out

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been battling this for over 6 monts (left that out... sorry) so it isn't going to clear up. I had a custom hose made so that it used the o-ring connection on the pump and the flare connection on the saginaw. I cannot discover an air leak on the suction side because there is no fluid leak. Since this is a gravity feed resevoir, if there was an air leak I would think that there would at least be seepage of fluid when the car is at rest due to gravity. However, when I'm pinching the supply hose and it goes quiet, it might be cutting down on the influence of a leak. The hose is only 15" long... but I will check it out in detail.

I have completed all known recommended bleeding approaches including the aforementioned vacuum bleed to no avail.

The ps pump is the correct pump for the bracket and the engine... at least as far as oreilly's is concerned, anyway... plus they all look alike. The 95 buick that it came from also used a saginaw style steering box, not rack and pinion...

I suppose it could be that the pump is putting out too much pressure for the '78 saginaw and it needs to be throttled back... but that has never been a problem with other installations (although not using a '95 Roadmaster... usually a Corvette). The pump is the same for a number of years and models, also.

C#

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.