El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i took the valve covers off and noticed i am missing a pushrod.
I guess this explains why the engine was misfiring and running boggy.
Anyhow, the pushrod mustve hopped off the cam lobe and bent itself, until it eventually broke.
I have about a quarter of the pushrod missing, and i need the car running asap to put exhaust on it.
Should i take the time to drain the coolant, take the distributor off, etc?
Would there be any damage done if the broken part were to stay inside the engine? At least for now?

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
A good chance if you pop off da intake manifold you would find missing piece and you can do some more investigating. :secret:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Engine needs to be fixed. Pull the intake off and see if the remainder is there. I would expect or at least hope that's where it's at. The rocker arm probably got loose and the pushrod got jammed in there......maybe. Should be an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
What am I risking if I don't though? What damage would the missing piece do?
Depending on how it is laying in there it could move and fall through opening unto da camshaft. All kinds of hilarious ugliness would occur. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I pulled my intake to replace the gasket, after replacing the distributor, timing it and putting everything back together it took me about 10-12 hours if I remember right? It took 1 evening, and the better part of the next day to finish up. I also prepped and painted parts before they went back on so that took up time as well. I think the hardest part is putting the distributor back in and timing the engine. Here is a pic of hopefully where the other pushrod piece is.

Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts