El Camino Central Forum banner

PLEASE READ...Posting Guidelines....................

12K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  Railrunner 
#1 · (Edited)
My friends at the elcaminocentral Forum. Some of the members have been taking too many liberties with the Forum postings over the past few months. I want to remind everyone that the Forum has sub-forums for posting a variety of El Camino related subjects. Please NOTE that I said "El Camino" related subjects. If the subject matter of your Thread or posting does not pertain to a question, answer, or statement for discussion about El Caminos, or something that relates directly to El Caminos or to this Association - the Thread or post should NOT be posted in the sub-forums. I ask that each member who has any questions about what I've just said to go back and read the "Posting Directives" located HERE before making any more posts.

A couple of years ago, the Executive Committee reorganized the Forum and its sub-forums in an attempt to make it more user friendly for those who use the Forum for its intended purpose, and that is to be a source for El Camino related knowledge. At that time, we moved the "BS" sub-forum off the main page, to prevent the distraction it was becoming. A full 50 percent or more of the posts were began in the BS sub-forum, and both new and old members were constantly complaining about the inability to use the Forum for R & D related to the El Camino. That was a sad statement about the health of our Internet home. The problem is, we've about come full circle from those times before the reorganizing took place. The main Forum directory is again filled with irrelevant and irreverent postings that have nothing to do with El Camino - and they-re not in the BS sub-forum. An end-run of the rules, by placing the above mentioned junk Threads and postings in sub-forums not meant for BS, has been occurring on a regular basis - and it has to stop.

Before you click the button to post your Thread, make sure that the subject matter matches the subject of the sub-forum - there should be a direct relation to the sub-forum, not just a whimsical connection and not just as the subject of a joke. If it's not a serious subject, then please take it to another Forum where that material is allowed or utilize our BS sub-forum. That's what it's there for - the other 95 percent of the Forum is for serious business, that of making El Caminos better than they were!

The sniping at other members also has to stop. What started out as friendly challenges have sometimes morphed into serious personality differences that have no place on a Forum that is supposed to be assisting members and guests with their cars. If one member wants to issue a friendly challenge, we don't need all the negativity about the individuals involved. This is a "Friendly" Forum, and we need to keep it that way if our numbers are to continue growing like the past two years. We want to be THE place for El Camino owners or lovers to come to for rock-solid information, information that they can get in a short time from a bunch of super nice NECOA members. Let's go back to being those members, and drop all the trash talk and comments about other members - whether you really mean it or not. Guests and new members have no way of knowing if you mean it or not.

I guess the next question is "What chew gonna do about it if we don't follow the rules?"

I'm going to ask the moderators to join me is evaluating any post that appears to not follow the rules. If two moderators agree that the Thread or post does not follow the rules of our Forum, the Thread or post will be removed. Period! And, in case of some members not "getting it", there will be punitive actions assigned for gross or continuing violations.

I sicerely hope that the members will take this message as it is meant. It is meant to be a warning that we have strayed from the path we began two years ago, and we must get back on the right path..................Ken :dontknow:

See less See more
#3 ·
Got it I'm game:nanawrench:

#4 ·
WOW!! I was thinking just last week how the forum has changed, from help and ideas to a regular " Chat " room for some members!

So glad you posted this issue to the members, hopefully the forum can get back on track, you certainly have my support!:nanawrench:

#6 ·
Well I'm fairly new here and personally think its a shame to not allow those who post do some with some personality. Lets face it, this place is not really post central, you can post something and it stays near the top the whole day. Those guys who post a lot are sometimes the only ones who reply, at least that is good. Nothing wrong with a bit of flavor as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

If things get censored to death I personally don't think it's good for anyone, that won't bring numbers it will however satisfy the minority. I'm a member of several other forums and have been for years, this place is far and above the norm as far as questionable content.

just my 2 cents..

#8 ·
Ken, I have no problem with what you say. As long as the BS is listed under the BS sub-forum, those that choose to read them can do so, and those that don't can skip over them. As someone new to this list, it was my understanding that the sub-forums were designed for this exact purpose. Personally, I love this list and the people on it. They have been more than helpful and patient with my ignorant questions.

#10 · (Edited)
I think there is valid points made on both ends! We all poke fun at one another and we see it a fun and games but at the same time as ken said newer members might not know it and some of them may steer away from the site for after they get the info they need instead of sticking around n actually becoming a real member. But at the same time others might see most of it for what it is.... A bunch of gear heads ( guys and girls alike ) just having a good time and keeping the spirit alive. There my :twocents:

#17 ·
I forgot there was a main menu with quick links or what a sub forum was. let's not get to plaid color:secret:
thanks

#18 ·
For example, just now in the BS Forum there are 12 out of 20 posts all by the same poster,
NONE had anyting to do with El Caminos. Enough to turn me off.
If the moderator turned these posters off, I'd not complain. It's like the old days of the CB Radio, many users just spoke to hear themselves. It's a shame.

#21 ·
Well spoken, Ken.
I've joined up at many automobile-related forums over the past few years and very few get my regular attention like this one. There are just too many competent, helpful people here to risk losing anyone because the place has gone off-track. One of the pool forums I visit has a dedicated funny pic/joke/video thread in the main forum, as well as a dedicated off-topic sub-forum. It's actually the highest content thread in the entire forum, but it serves to keep the "general discussion" forum more on-topic.

Bill

#23 ·
Shootstraight, you aren't missing anything.......the BS forum is for BS, and doesn't have to be about anything in particular, the way I understand it. It's to keep the BS out of the rest of the catagorys I believe....:dontknow:

Maybe everyone who joins this great place hasn't taken time to read the posting guidelines. It's designed to keep us civil with each other while helping out.

#25 ·
Nobody uses the chat room what is it open to anything rated PG13 or El Camino topics only? I can't type and check spelling fast enough to post there I'm about four answers behind by the time I finish typing one sentance.:dontknow::dontknow:

#30 ·
Well, the reason I post on the BS section is because there is an icon that says "new thread". I don't see anything like that on the home page. Obviously many of you have figured that out, it haven't.

#31 ·
If you open the forum you want to post on, it has the "new thread" button, just like the BS forum does.

scroll down on any page on the site and near the bottom (in bottom 1/2 anyway) of any page you will see a drop down box labeled "forum jump" on the right side of the page. click on that and then on the forum you want to go to.

Also, once I sign in to the site, I have it set so it takes me to "new threads". If I want to post something new, go to the right of the page where it lists the forums that the threads are posted in. Click on the forum you want to go to, and it brings that forum up , including the "new thread" button.

It takes awhile or some sight-seeing to learn all this stuff, so maybe this will help some of the new guys.

:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.