El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know there are just to many choices out there, my little brain hurts having to think this much 8O. What plug wires do you guys recommend for my elky? It's an 87SS, with headers, intake, exhaust, cam. Looking for something that can withstand heat and not make the whine come thru the radio. I know Accel makes a heat resistant wire but how good is it? Also, what wire size should I get 7mm,7.5,8mm,9mm? Thanks for the help!

August

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good question and you are going to get a lot of different answers. I have been told Taylor wires are great and the way to go, but then I think if your on a budget Summit's wires might work for you just as well for a lot less in price. Of course we all know the saying you get what you pay for.

I'm not an expert for sure on this one, maybe others can help much better than I can....By the way I am running the Summit wires on my new ZZ4. Happy with them so far.

dave

·
1,867 Posts
The most important thing to remember is get spiral core wires. MSD makes a good set. 8mm is all we need.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far. A question though,m what makes spiral core wires better over standard wires, do they conduct the electricity better or is it something else? Thanks for all the info.

August

·
1,867 Posts
Yes, Very low resistence compared to suppression core wires. They are the best of both worlds, the low resistence of a solid core wire with the radio suppression of the cheap wires. They also last many times longer. They are a must if you run a performance ignition. I have been running a MSD-6a for many years & have had no problems at all. Since I mentioned it, I would recomend a MSD box to anyone, even completely stock. I have installed a dozen or so 6a & 5a on different cars for people with positive results on each. They do work great. 2 to 4 mpg increase, improved throttle response, & greatly inproved emmisions.

·
1,867 Posts
Not only does it increase the spark but it creates multiple sparks that lasts for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation so it completely burns the mixure. On a hei distributor it takes place of the module. The 6al has a built in rev limiter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts