El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad experience with the el Camino Store/Eckler's and wanted to share my experience with the el Camino Central/NECOA membership so they were aware of how issues like this are handled.

Back in June of this year, in preparation for receiving the '68 el Camino SS 396 I bought, since my garage space is limited, I had to buy another car cover for the '75 el Camino SS. I shopped around and found a nice cover on the el Camino Store website. I placed the order and it took a few weeks to be made and get delivered. In general it was nice, a little tight around the bumpers but no big issues.

In mid August I noticed some small holes starting in the center of a section of the cover over the bed. I checked the spec's on the construction and what the warranty is. Here is direct from the website:

3 Layer Construction
Thick To Protect Damage
Soft For Paint Protection
Breathable
Water Resistant
Custom Fit To Generation And Body Style
Eckler's Select Series

Now Eckler's has sourced the best covers for your El Camino. The Secure-Guard car covers are manufactured for Ecklers by one of the leading manufacturers but offered at a very special price. These covers are 3 layer material, breathable and water resistant. Also recommended for Moderate Weather or indoor use. Soft inside to not damage your El Camino paint but also thick enough to protect it against dinges from the outside. Custom fit to your generation and body style. 3 Year Limited Warranty.

So I contacted their customer service, had a bit of a hassle, but we got through it, ended up having to escalate to a supervisor for "appropriate" replacement order to be placed.

Waited a few weeks, received replacement cover, went to put it on, same material but "NOT" custom fit, was about 1 1/2 feet too long!

Called the customer service again, got a rep on the phone, she looked up the notes and since it was handled by a Supervisor (Ed), she said he needed to handle any further follow up/actions, said he would not be in for a few more days, so we agreed he would call me back, I provided both my home land line and cell numbers.

A week and a half went by, NO CALL. I called back last Friday, same info, Supervisor need to call me back.......

While I understand foul ups and stuff like that, I need a good car cover for my '75 right now, we just went through a 10 days period with lots of heavy rain......need the vehicle covered and Eckler's is not doing the job that we expect from a vendor of the website/NECOA membership.

At this point I and sending both covers back, probably won't deal with the el Camino Store/Eckler's again............

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm sorry you're having to go through this, but it is very good information. As a business owner I know very well that things can go wrong despite the best efforts to avoid problems. That your car cover has a defect/problem isn't what is concerning. It's how the supidvisor is handling your issue.

Recommend you escalate this issue to the owner/ceo level to ensure that this truly is "company policy" and not just the actions of a less than dilegent supervisor.

If it's the supervisor, upper management needs to know so they can fix the break down of customer service (they can't fix something if they don't know it's broken).

If it's the company's way of dealing with defective parts/materials, that's important for all of us to know so we all can provide as much "free advertising" as they can stand.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Ecklers

Without going into a great deal of detail, I made a purchase from Ecklers and waited and waited and waited for shipment notification. Never did they tell me the part wasn't available or perhaps even backordered. After many frustrating phone calls to their customer service people I was getting conflicting accounts of why the part hasn't shipped which eventually turned into "it should ship tomorrow." That went on for five more days and two more phone calls until I finally told their customer service person out of shear anger and frustration "you people are just liers" and cancelled the order.

Well, not that I would have done business with them again anyway, but they have blocked, banned or somehow blacklisted my computer's IP address so I can't even log onto their online store's website. OK by me. How do I know that? Well, I can log on using my wife's computer but not my own. Interesting. I just don't care for what I considered their unethical business practices and for that reason would never do business with them again. And sadly, at one time, they were by go to store for El Camino parts and I probably easily spent hundreds of dollars there. Never again.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I think the El Camino Store in Athens Georgia must be different . I have bought several items from them including a car cover and was completely satisfied every purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
If you had checked the reviews here and elsewhere before you dealt with these guys you would have not dealt with them to begin with. Go back in the archives and do some searches !:secret:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It wasn't too long that another member had a nearly identical problem with them and posted it. My only experience withe the EC Store was disappointing. I would never deal with them again..

·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you had checked the reviews here and elsewhere before you dealt with these guys you would have not dealt with them to begin with. Go back in the archives and do some searches !:secret:
By the way you put that, then I guess I should not relay my experience?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Poor Experience with

California Car cover...worth every penny. Snug fit because I forget to tell them it was for a CCC ( longer length). Added Corvette mirrors later, still fits. Purchased in 2008, just now starting to have some issues. Nothing a little duct tape won't fix.

·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
California Car cover...worth every penny. Snug fit because I forget to tell them it was for a CCC ( longer length). Added Corvette mirrors later, still fits. Purchased in 2008, just now starting to have some issues. Nothing a little duct tape won't fix.

[URL]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/84withzz4/100_1980_zpsmmhcu56z.jpg[/URL]
California makes some good covers! :) Had some good experiences with them in the past.

Just found a reasonably priced one on CarCovers? Custom fit, says good with water and breathability.....anyone deal with them?

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Parrish

By the way you put that, then I guess I should not relay my experience?
Not sure if Wayne was referring to your post or post #3. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
That may be the way it came across,but was not intended that way. YES,you should post your experiences,BUT we all have posted our experiences on the site and a simple search sometimes can inform us of bad dealers .I have found a multitude of wealth in our search function.

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
I have not bought from Eckler's in a while. When I did it usually ended well. What I have found however, is everything they stock is available elsewhere. Do a search for your parts and 99% of the time you will find it at another dealer for cheaper. It used to drive me nuts when I would order from Eckler's and the part would arrive with the return address from the manufacturer.

·
Director, Region 2
621 Posts
Yes if someone wants to post that should be encouraged. Granted there is a wealth of information and if you look at the number of my posts given the years I have been a member there has been a lot of time researching.
Getting back to posting, we have over 26,000 registered members with only a handful by comparison posting regularly. As far as things coming across wrong, the internet is hard because it lacks facial expression and voice inflection. But I have to end this saying I have been in many internet groups and this by far is the most friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If multiple members are posting negative reviews of a supported vendor then I think the site has an obligation to eliminate that vendor from their approval list or at least put the vendor on notice.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
X2 on that....
The El Camino store has made it, since the last fiasco with them, to the top of my poop list !
Just another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Really wonder how they hold on to customers at all....

And a good manager is not "gone for a few days" while the help is trying to sort out a problem.

That place really sucks.....

·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That may be the way it came across,but was not intended that way. YES,you should post your experiences,BUT we all have posted our experiences on the site and a simple search sometimes can inform us of bad dealers .I have found a multitude of wealth in our search function.
No problem Wayne! Posts do not convey the meaning behind what we mean to say at times......

I realize that vendors will have issues with people who purchase from them, but they should be vigilante to keep a good reputation (especially since Eckler's took the el Camino in their name!) with the members of a website where they advertise!

What I find a little disconcerting is that we have not heard from any "REPRESENTATIVE" of the el Camino store/Eckler's? :-(

·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes if someone wants to post that should be encouraged. Granted there is a wealth of information and if you look at the number of my posts given the years I have been a member there has been a lot of time researching.
Getting back to posting, we have over 26,000 registered members with only a handful by comparison posting regularly. As far as things coming across wrong, the internet is hard because it lacks facial expression and voice inflection. But I have to end this saying I have been in many internet groups and this by far is the most friendly and helpful.
Ditto Leo!

That said, researching every part or item we buy, well that could be cumbersome.

Just a side note, since I have NOT heard back from anyone over at the el Camino Store/Eckler's, I have opened a "Dispute" with the credit card I used to purchase the car cover, waiting to hear back on Eckler's response. Moving on to purchasing a car cover from someone else.....Car Covers seemed to have a good cover at a reasonable price, plus free shipping right now!

·
Registered
51 Posts
wow, I was just going to pull the trigger with this company on a hood and audio equipment, thanks for the heads-up!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts