El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my caballero for the first time in a about a month the other day and it would run fine until I took the choke off and than it would run really rich and lightly backfire but I reved it to keep it running and it backfired like as loud as shotgun so I shut it down. For some reason I don't think its burning all the fuel and is firing on the exhaust stroke. Is it a bad coil or bad plugs or just to cold out?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Could be some junk in the needle & seat,, what carb is on it now? If it is running rich I would fix it before proceeding,,, Matty man

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be some junk in the needle & seat,, what carb is on it now? If it is running rich I would fix it before proceeding,,, Matty man
It's got a 650 edelbrock on it and I've checked everything with the carb and took it apart already. Still was back firing and running really rich.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A vacuum leak is the always the first guess. Look and see if one of the hoses is off, or split, or got chewed on my some miscellaneous animal.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ok,, do you have a fuel pressure regulator and gauge? Edelbrocks are senstive to pressure,, but that does not explain the removed the choke and then ran bad,,, did you remove the choke plate all together?? Or is the plate still there just held open?,, You will need it here in Ohio,,

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just open. It's a mech choke. I don't have a regulater but it ran fine all summer and just as it's got cold is giving me problems and the worst came last weekend with the backfiring. Just glad It's not a daily driver or I'd be screwed!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Like mrblanche said check all vaccum lunes and the base gasket as well,,,, how about the timing?? check the distribitor and see if it moved,, check the timing,, this cold you will need a choke to get her going,,,,

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like mrblanche said check all vaccum lunes and the base gasket as well,,,, how about the timing?? check the distribitor and see if it moved,, check the timing,, this cold you will need a choke to get her going,,,,
Checked timing and it's right on. Gonna have to check vacuum lines and other areas next then... Seems like ever since I put the exhaust on it it doesn't like to start haha, when I had open headers it didn't even care about the cold

1 - 11 of 11 Posts