El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed exhaust manifolds got popping sounds like the carb. Installed gaskets tighten bolts etc. Is there a donut gasket between exhaust manifold and EFE heat riser? Would that cause the popping?
The headers didn’t use them
Returned to stock exhaust system

·
Registered
1960 454ci th400 61cad int. & pwr options
84 Posts
Popping after changing exhaust is almost always a leak near the exhaust manifold. Cold air gets pulled in typically when going to off throttle which mixes with unburnt fuel which ignites due to high temps at the exhaust port/manifold. There are other variations but all come from fresh air being introduced at or near the exhaust flange.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Popping after changing exhaust is almost always a leak near the exhaust manifold. Cold air gets pulled in typically when going to off throttle which mixes with unburnt fuel which ignites due to high temps at the exhaust port/manifold. There are other variations but all come from fresh air being introduced at or near the exhaust flange.
I’ll recheck all bolts & gaskets be sure they haven’t fell out.
does the EFE heat riser valve connects to passenger exhaust manifold need a gasket?
Thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Popping after changing exhaust is almost always a leak near the exhaust manifold. Cold air gets pulled in typically when going to off throttle which mixes with unburnt fuel which ignites due to high temps at the snaptube vidmate exhaust port/manifold. There are other variations but all come from fresh air being introduced at or near the exhaust flange.
that's what it could be for sure

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wired the riser open and have a flat exhaust gasket from a Ford? and no donut on the other side. Flat gasket not required if surfaces mate well but it helped. My popping was too much fuel, carb problem. New one fixed that problem which does not sound like the same issue as yours.
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts