El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need this kit for a new engine painted factory black? Not sure if I need to strip the new paint off first that sure would be a job by itself. Does this kit have enough paint for the job?

Buy this terrific kit and your shopping is done! It has everything you need to do a superior job, and includes the step-by-step instructions needed to make sure you do it right, especially if you're a beginner.
First, our special MARINE CLEANTM engine cleaner gets rid of all dirt, grease and oil. Next, use our PREP & READYTM to dissolve rust and prep the metal. Now prime and rust-proof your engine with regular POR-15® (black or silver).
And lastly, topcoat with the extra-pigment Engine Enamel color of your choice, all in one convenient kit. You won't believe the job you've done... PERMANENTLY!
KIT CONTAINS:
  • POR-15® SOLVENT
  • MARINE CLEANTM
  • PREP & READYTM
  • POR-15® (Black or Silver pending on Engine Enamel color choice)
  • ENGINE ENAMEL (color of your choice)
  • Paint Brushes
  • Safety face mask
  • Latex surgical gloves
$57.25
Colors Please select ALUMINUM AUSTIN HEALEY GREEN BLACK BUICK GREEN BUICK TURQOUISE CADILLAC DARK BLUE CHEVY BLUE CHEVY ORANGE CHEVY RED CHRYSLER BLUE CHRYSLER TURQOUISE CLASSIC FORD RED CORPORATE BLUE FORD BLUE FORD GREEN FORD MEDIUM BLUE HEMI ORANGE HIPO YELLOW MG MAROON OLDS GOLD PONTIAC LIGHT BLUE PONTIAC METALLIC BLUE WHITE Qty

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..I don't think so,first,its Not greasey,its "New"..I think that kit come with a de-greaer in it,but yeah,you can paint it any color you want,I think black and crome goes together very well,or the color of your cruck.If you noticed,Por-15 is a solvent,what are you cleaning???...I don't think you need that,its all ready coated from the factory.But, Go ahead and paint it. A lot of guys out there paint there engine the same color as there ride,so,you have a lot of options in that aera. So, My two cents worth is Don't get it,save the money for the paint job on the motor. :beer:

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
Do I need this kit for a new engine painted factory black? Not sure if I need to strip the new paint off first that sure would be a job by itself. Does this kit have enough paint for the job?

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums... line may 30th 2012/100_1706.jpg?t=1338439576

http://www.por15.com/images/EPK_EnginePaintKit_300.jpgBuy this terrific kit and your shopping is done! It has everything you need to do a superior job, and includes the step-by-step instructions needed to make sure you do it right, especially if you're a beginner.
First, our special MARINE CLEANTM engine cleaner gets rid of all dirt, grease and oil. Next, use our PREP & READYTM to dissolve rust and prep the metal. Now prime and rust-proof your engine with regular POR-15® (black or silver).
And lastly, topcoat with the extra-pigment Engine Enamel color of your choice, all in one convenient kit. You won't believe the job you've done... PERMANENTLY!

KIT CONTAINS:
  • POR-15® SOLVENT
  • MARINE CLEANTM
  • PREP & READYTM
  • POR-15® (Black or Silver pending on Engine Enamel color choice)
  • ENGINE ENAMEL (color of your choice)
  • Paint Brushes
  • Safety face mask
  • Latex surgical gloves
$57.25
Colors Please select ALUMINUM AUSTIN HEALEY GREEN BLACK BUICK GREEN BUICK TURQOUISE CADILLAC DARK BLUE CHEVY BLUE CHEVY ORANGE CHEVY RED CHRYSLER BLUE CHRYSLER TURQOUISE CLASSIC FORD RED CORPORATE BLUE FORD BLUE FORD GREEN FORD MEDIUM BLUE HEMI ORANGE HIPO YELLOW MG MAROON OLDS GOLD PONTIAC LIGHT BLUE PONTIAC METALLIC BLUE WHITE Qty
NEED? good grief no you dont need it, its purely optional. The engine is already painted so even if you wanted to paint it a different color you shouldnt need to do anything other than use a prep degreaser to ensure the new paint adheres.

If the POR-15 engine enamel is anything like their rust proofing then yes that is more than enough to do 5 motors, POR-15 flows really well and can be applied in amazingly thin coats.

Rust proofing of the engine block seems like a ludicrous step to me, the only rusted engines I've ever seen are those that have been sitting outdoors in bone yards, a running engine under the hood with even the basic factory paint should be reasonably rust free. Only those places unpainted are going to rust.

No doubt that kit will provide a durable long life paint job, I love POR-15, I just think if you are on a budget that $60 pretty much buys all your gaskets and then some.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
681 Posts
I love POR-15. I coated the entire chassis of my F-250 with it (which took a very long time). But im not sure I see the necessity to use it on an engine block. I put a GM Performance parts 350 crate motor into my 1983 Elky about 10 years ago...I left the factory paint on it and the block still looks great to this day. But if painting the block with POR-15 makes you feel good go ahead and do it. Better to do it and spend $60 than not do it and regret it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I was thinking of doing this is I'm going to start showing the truck I hope and they have a color that's close to my body paint. Would that be a little to much the block looking close to the body paint or would it add a nice look in the over all picture when showing? I'm not worried about the $60.00 I'm going for the look.:dontknow: I need anything I can get with all that ugly somg crap.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
The reason I was thinking of doing this is I'm going to start showing the truck I hope and they have a color that's close to my body paint. Would that be a little to much the block looking close to the body paint or would it add a nice look in the over all picture when showing? I'm not worried about the $60.00 I'm going for the look.:dontknow: I need anything I can get with all that ugly somg crap.
If you're going for the look then you dont need any advice from us here in the peanut gallery :) go for it

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're going for the look then you dont need any advice from us here in the peanut gallery :) go for it
Yea but do you think it will add anything or you probably wouldn't notice it anyway? I can use all the input I can get from all the members. I'm taking all this info seriously I don't play games.:neutral2: I know the final decision is mine.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
Yea but do you think it will add anything or you probably wouldn't notice it anyway? I can use all the input I can get from all the members. I'm taking all this info seriously I don't play games.:neutral2: I know the final decision is mine.
Sure it will be noticable, what sort of impact will it have? From what I can tell you have an otherwise stock engine compartment, meaning flat black paint - will a shiney (burgundy?) motor really have impact in a flat black engine compartment or will it look out of place, its really for you to decide.

If you want serious impact, then invest in painting the entire engine compartment body color, I did this on my vette when I did the engine swap - in fact my '66 will prbably be the first car I've owned that I didnt do this on. Or paint the engine compartment a gloss black so your glossy engine pops.

I did it on my 72 camaro..

I did it on my corvette....

Or shoot it a gloss black so your engine color leaps out at you - like I did on a friends Belair....

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure it will be noticable, what sort of impact will it have? From what I can tell you have an otherwise stock engine compartment, meaning flat black paint - will a shiney (burgundy?) motor really have impact in a flat black engine compartment or will it look out of place, its really for you to decide.

If you want serious impact, then invest in painting the entire engine compartment body color, I did this on my vette when I did the engine swap - in fact my '66 will prbably be the first car I've owned that I didnt do this on. Or paint the engine compartment a gloss black so your glossy engine pops.

I did it on my 72 camaro..
http://earchitect.50megs.com/camaro/camaro6.JPG

I did it on my corvette....
http://earchitect.50megs.com/corvette/images/engine/DSCF07.JPG

Or shoot it a gloss black so your engine color leaps out at you - like I did on a friends Belair....
http://earchitect.50megs.com/corvette/images/engine/DSCF0459.jpg
THAT LOOKS NICE. Mine painted except the fender wells. thanks for the input. the new engine gloss black or cheap gloss black.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
I would think the POR15 rust preventer as a base that will give you a tough as nails base thats fairly smooth if the rust preventer is gloss black that may be good enough if not I seem to recall they have a gloss clear coat you can put over the top.

The paint i used on the belair was automotive paint

1 - 10 of 10 Posts